BSOD Problem???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoMan813

In Runtime
My frined has a Dell Inspiron 5100 Notebook. When you try to start it up it comes to a screen saying.... We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Then it gives you theses choices to selct from: Safe Mode....Safe Mode with Networking.....Safe Mode with Command Prompt....Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked).....Start Windows Normally.

I have tried starting normally and safe mode and they both start loading Windows but end up at the BSOD that says.....STOP:c0000218 {Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

Does anyone know what may have caused this and how to fix it???Please help.....Thanks.

I've seen something very similar on a Windows 2000 Pro desktop.

Have you tried the Last Known Good? If that doesn't work, I think you are pretty much hooped. Try a System Recovery from the OS disk. You might want to get the hardware examined as well.

On the system I saw this happen on, the power supply was on its last legs. Must have lost power at precisely the wrong moment and corrupted the registry. Damage was bad enough that I had to reinstall the OS for him. Nothing else did any good.

Mind you, if you are a genius with the registry, there are linux-based tools that allow offline registry editing of NT systems... you could always rebuild the registry. ;)

Cheers

DiggerB

try removing all but the necessary hardware (including cd, floppy (especially floppy), snd card, etc) and reseat the others and reboot. that, or a sys repair from xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom