Video card questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollygrunt

Solid State Member
Currently I've got an nvidia 6800 256mb card in my Dimension 4700. This morning while cleaning the PC I noticed that the fan on the 6800 is no longer working. Should I replace it? If so, I'd want a low power consumption card. I was looking at the nvidia's 7100GS Turbo, 7300GS and ATI's HD2400 or HD2600. They are all 256mb dual monitor video cards. Which would be a better choice? Opinions please.

Thank you. :)

theres always down clocking the card so it stays cool.

HD 2600 would be your best choice there.

i would get a new heatsink/fan for the 6800, the 7100 and 7300 are no match for a 6800. if you get a real good cooler, you can unlock some pipes too, if you have a plain jane 6800.

i say new cooler, though u would see some good performance jumps if you got a new card.

But if you do not see the need a new cooler would be ideal.

I'm kinda leaning towards just replacing the 6800 with the HD2600. According to Dell, it'll work with my 4700 as it doesn't consume a lot of power so I wouldn't need to replace the PSU.

Is it difficult to switch from nvidia to ati as far as removing and replacing drivers & related software? Is there a guide?

Download new card's drivers but don't install them

Uninstall current driver

Install new card

Install the drivers (the most updated) you download earlier

Sit back and enjoy your new upgrade.

Out of the options listed,i'd get the HD 2600 (Preferably the XT model) and a aftermarket cooler if possible,best option IMHO :)

And as for brand,aim for HIS,Sapphire,MSI,Gigabyte and maybe ASUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom