Disk read error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
The issue I'm having with my pc is this; When I boot it, I get this error message on start up, "A disk read error occured, restart computer." I always get this message when i boot, and can't get into windows. I've tried booting to my windows xp (home) disc, but when it says it's checking the hardware configuration, the screen goes black, and it sits idle. I've ran a error checker on my hdd, and it came back clean.

Couple of questions:

Do you have a replacement cable you can try to use to connect the HDD to the controller with? (Just to try and localize the actual issue)

Do you have an extra PC that you could use this drive as a secondary drive in for further troubleshooting?

Is it a Maxtor drive? If so, can you read the specs on the top of the physical drive for us?

Actually, what are the specs of the drive, regardless if it is a Maxtor?

It is a PATA, SCSI or SATA drive?

I've tried a different IDE cable, and I'm still coming up with the same issue. I can access the HDD on another PC. I can access the info on it as well. And it's an 80gig Western Digital Caviar IDE HDD.

I don't get it, it's working now. I haven't made any changes. I put the HDD back in the tower, booted it, and now it's working.... I don't get it. Oh well :)

You will likely need to replace the drive itself. The ready access to the partition simply shows that the read heads are still working while you may not be able to actually write to the drive like performing a repair install of Windows. The installer locking up also seems to suggest bad drive heads. Since it suddenly is booting and then later it won't that suggests wear + tear is now gradually taking it's toll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom