AGP Speed transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amidamaru

In Runtime
Do NOT cross post the same message to other forums.....thanks===MicroBell

EDIT: The question i basically wish to ask is: How comes i can't go to speeds of 4x although my Motherboard supports it?

Hi, I have had some problems with my AGP speed. I bought a new Graphics card, this particular ATI graphics card supports speeds of up to 8x. My quite old Motherboard is a:
SiS730S
It supports speed of up to 4x. I have tried many things to try and see what the problem was like getting the latest SiS AGP (GART) Drivers from the SiS website. The latest version is 1.17E,
this unfortunately did nothing instead it just wasting some memory, so it seems. I have all the latest Video card drivers for ATI and it didnt do nothing. I have heard of this or other
forums to try updating different stuff and the BIOS. This is what it shows from System Information.

System Information said:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2, v.2149 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JAMES
System Manufacturer SiS
System Model 730S
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~1144 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 062710, 15/07/1997
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2149 (xpsp_sp2_rc2.040610-1520)"

It does say the date of the BIOS is in 1997. I am unsure of whether this can be upgraded. From the BIOS screen by pressing DEL at startup it is a AMIBIOS. Argh... I'm just getting
myself more confused.

I will talk through the thing about the SIS AGP (GART) Driver with some Screenshots.

agp_screen1.jpg

(Hope the link works, was being wierd for me)
1. 4x should be selected, it does say the Bus Capability is 1x, 2x.. well that should be wrong
2. It should support FastWrite according to specifications on some other websites.

I try clicking on the 4x and click ok so that it might say the speed is 4x. For me to do this i must first click on 2x and then click on 4x to get this:
agp_screen2.jpg

So, please give me advice. I think its the BIOS that needs updating i have seen some websites.
eg.: http://www.bios-drivers.com/

I did download some BIOS drivers, but i didn't want to install them without action. Please give me the steps and necessary precautions, i will now await replies and make a WindowsXP boot disk.

Thanks for reading and sorry for long post.

No, a 730S mobo supports X4 not X8 (and its alll marketing BS anyway you will gain NOTHING using X8.......even if your mobo allowed it......or maybe AT THE MOST a few %...like 1 or 2%....and beleive it or not some mobo's run X8 cards FASTER in X4 mode than X8)....SO......stop killing yourself over nothing and enjoy your gaming

Oh and as for fastwrite again it pretty redundant.....DO NOT WORRY about it (unless your one of those techonprats who know eff-all EXCEPT BIG NUMBERS AND FANCY NAMES).

No, thats not the problem. My motherboard supports 4x but it only goes at 2x.. thats my problem. I know its a 8x agp card but it should be able to as 4x, 2x and 1x

I just want to know why it isnt allowing me 4x.

Sorry i didn't make it clear, i rewrote it and lost concentration.

So, is there any program available that would be able to tell me what its called? I don't particularly wish to go inside the Computer but if i must i must.

Again sorry for cross posting, I was loosing patients

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom