Status
Not open for further replies.
dual channel can work in 3 slots if you have:

all same brand and species of RAM and,

2 128s and 1 256
2 256s and 1 512
2 512s and 1 1000

and so forth

Ok, we have some conflicting information here. Now, I don't know about other motherboards but my ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe will only allow dual channel if I have 2x dual channel configured sticks of RAM plugged into the blue slots, or 2x in blue slots, and other 2x in black slots. If I do it any other way it goes back to single channel mode. For example, if I had 2x 512MB DCs in the blue slots it would run in DC mode but, if I added another single memory module, say 1024MB to a third slot, it would run in single channel (sorry if this goes against what you said ICS). Your best option is to take out the 2x512MB sticks and use your 2x256MB sticks for a pretty large performance increase. Now, before you reply again, run a benchmark, one on your current configuration, and the second after you do as I said. Post the results to us on this thread. Download SiSoft Sandra here if you don't already have it installed. Save it to your disk and run it, follow the onscrean instructions until its fully installed on your system. Then run the Memory Bandwidth test, those are the results we need to see. It should take a couple minutes to run the test, in the mean time, don't move the mouse or do anything on your system. We will be waiting to see your results.

i did the test with my single channel and got

INT Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE = 3338
Float Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE = 3093

That's pretty good for single channel. I am planning on getting some XMS too but not until the wallet agrees. I'm just using Kingston ValueRAM, here are my scores:

2x Dual Channel Kingston ValueRAM 512MB (1024MB Total)

SiSoft Sandra:

Memory Bandwidth
Int - 4187
Float - 4189

lol, yeah, best info I can give anyone regarding memory is to refer to your motherboard manufacturer's website and manual. If you dig hard enough the answer will come.

crazybeans said:
Ok, we have some conflicting information here. Now, I don't know about other motherboards but my ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe will only allow dual channel if I have 2x dual channel configured sticks of RAM plugged into the blue slots, or 2x in blue slots, and other 2x in black slots. If I do it any other way it goes back to single channel mode. For example, if I had 2x 512MB DCs in the blue slots it would run in DC mode but, if I added another single memory module, say 1024MB to a third slot, it would run in single channel (sorry if this goes against what you said ICS). Your best option is to take out the 2x512MB sticks and use your 2x256MB sticks for a pretty large performance increase. Now, before you reply again, run a benchmark, one on your current configuration, and the second after you do as I said. Post the results to us on this thread. Download SiSoft Sandra here if you don't already have it installed. Save it to your disk and run it, follow the onscrean instructions until its fully installed on your system. Then run the Memory Bandwidth test, those are the results we need to see. It should take a couple minutes to run the test, in the mean time, don't move the mouse or do anything on your system. We will be waiting to see your results.
Bingo. This is correct (for Asus mobos.) I have the same, and I am pretty sure that the only way to enable dual channel is by running same ram in either blue slots, black slots, or both. Using 3 sticks will revert you back to single channel.

here

showthread.php

It will not mess up your dual channel. Please note that channel does not equal DIMM, but refers to the way the memory controller sees things. Look here at the DIMM slots... slots 1 is on one channel, and slots 2 and 3 are on another. As long as the same amount of memory is stuck in each channel (and the specs are the same, of course), you can use dual channel. So... stick the smaller sticks in slots 2 and 3 and the big one in slot 1. After that, you'll be good to go, and it will recognize it and run in dual channel automatically.
micro you are wrong, face it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom