Install New Drivers In Safe Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reckliss

Daemon Poster
I have been getting BSOD's in Windows Vista Ultimate right after logging in. Everything works perfectly in Safe Mode so i figured it was a driver issue. Can I install new drivers while in Sade Mode?

The idea behind safe mode is for seeing drivers removed when you are unable to remove or update them with Windows running in the normal mode. That's a diagnostic mode not really intended for seeing things installed since only the basics are loaded with limited background services.

The first thing to look at when seeing a blue screen is the information seen there since that will generally point right at the problem if a driver is involved for things like the video or sound card if the wrong version went on or the current set saw a bad install. Once in safe mode you could remove to later see the correct version or fresh set downloaded to try again.

The important thing in order to isolates and correct the problem is taking notes on what is seen when the crash occurs. Often that will point out the one specific driver causing problems.

I have been getting BSOD's in Windows Vista Ultimate right after logging in. Everything works perfectly in Safe Mode so i figured it was a driver issue. Can I install new drivers while in Sade Mode?

Yes.. but it wont do you any good unless you know what driver to replace (unless you have the time to upgrade/replace em all, which isnt bad at all)

Like the user above me said, try to isolate where you get the bluescreen and what might cause the problem. If all else fails you can do a full system repair by using your windows cd and booting to it and press R to repair (depends on your os)

Did you do anything to your operating system to invoke the BSOD?
Do you get it as soon as you boot w/o safe mode on?

These are the questions we need if we are to help you with you problem

Best luck to finding the solution to your problem :happy:

After the POST screen, start pressing F8 to get to the pre-boot menu. Once there, select "Disable restart on system failure."

Next time you get the BSOD, tell us the STOP error (formatted like so: 0x000000##, where ## = letters and/or digits), and the word in all caps at the top of the BSOD if there are any.

This is what Vista Ultimate tells me once i start up in regular mode before the blue screen happens.

it says

Bluescreen
Locale ID 1033
BCCode 109 BCP1 A3A039D895AB96AA

there is more if you need it. its hard to get with little time.

Do you have the UAC(User Account Control) disabled? If you do type "sfc /scannow" in at the Run prompt and either press enter or click the ok button to see the system file checker run.

Besides running the system tool for verifying and replacing the essential files you have to look at the latest if not last drivers installed if you recently made any changes like swapping out a hardware like the video card to upgrade or this is on a recent build.

This is what Vista Ultimate tells me once i start up in regular mode before the blue screen happens.

it says

Bluescreen
Locale ID 1033
BCCode 109 BCP1 A3A039D895AB96AA

there is more if you need it. its hard to get with little time.

I need the info that's actually on the BSOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom