Overclockers Push 8-core Skulltrail To 6 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Mod Emeritus
Las Vegas (NV) - When Intel released its Skulltrail platform, the main focus of the platform was on overclocking capabilities. Dual-socket motherboards traditionally have not been a prime target for overclocking, and so this was an interesting proposition from Intel. Now we know that Skulltrail has lots of headroom.

Overclocking with advanced air-cooling can take Skulltrail from 3.2 GHz to 4 GHz. 4.5 GHz is reportedly manageable with a modest water-cooling system. Not surprisingly, there is a lot more capability in this platform if take an extreme Skulltrail a bit more extreme.

According to this forum post on XtremeSystems, one of big overclocking community sites, "Vince" was able to run all eight cores at 6006 MHz - or a total of 48 GHz of processing horsepower. Eight cores clocked at 6 GHz is something we didn't expect to see in quite some time.

Our congratulations not only go to Vince, but also to the Intel engineers who created a processor that can remain stable at a clock speed that is 2.8 GHz faster than the shipping clock.

Source
Overclockers Push 8-core Skulltrail To 6 GHz: Dual-socket Overclocking Confirmed - Tom's Hardware

I am surprised skulltrail is so good at overclocking considering it requires FBDIMM ram and is pretty much a modified server board.

I seen a vid of some people pushing a CPU to like 8.2ghz, so I don't see why 2.8ghz past stock speed is anything that great. I know it's hard to get that high, but I dunno...I'm just picky like that lol

Congrats to them though..that's amazing 8 cores to 6ghz each

It's a **** shame that every game benchmark I've seen has Skulltrail sucking at gaming. In most cases it's actually slower than a system running 4 cores. That being said, pop in a rendering or encoding program and it'll blaze through it.

of course he didn't. he multiplied the amount of gigahertz by the number of cores. jeez adding is so second grade...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom