CPU Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Well, I was bored last night, and since my gaming rig is currently down (had to RMA the motherboard...just sent it in a few days ago =( ), I was wondering if I'd be able to put a low-end dual core in this HP that I currently have/am using.

It's an HP a1400y CTO, socket 775 Asus P5RC-LE motherboard (no specs available that I could find; already tried googling/looking on Asus's website). Currently it has a single-core Celeron 341 (Prescott). Went on the online chat thing HP has, and he gave me this list of CPUs that he could find:

Pentium D 900 series up to 950 (Pressler, 65nm)
Pentium D 800 series (Smithfield, 90nm)
Pentium 4 601 series up to 661 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Pentium 4 600 series up to 650 (Prescott, 90nm)
Pentium 4 500 series up to 551(Prescott, 90nm)
Celeron D up to 360 (Cedar Mill, 65nm)
Celeron D up to 355 (Prescott, 90nm)

He also said "you should also be able to support a core 2 duo in it," which was my question to him to begin with, to see if it would support a C2D (or at least maybe an e2180 or something of that sort).

Since my e6750 is just sitting in its box right now till my gaming rig's mobo gets back to me, I was wondering if any of you think that it'd be able to be supported in this HP? Updated the BIOS to the most recent release for this board, as well. Figured I'd ask here before I try it, seeing that HP techs sometimes aren't all they're cracked up to be ;).

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs*-* Motherboard Specifications, P5LP-LE (Altair)*

I scoured HP's site as well as their replacement parts. I think dude was talking out his backside about putting a C2D in it... the only BIOS update for the board added some USB support, nothing about CPUs.

Actually it said that it did add "support for newever intel CPU's." It said what it updated beforehand, since it was a Windows-based BIOS updater. Looks like I'd only be able to put a Pentium D in it if I wanted to then, eh? Of course, that'd still give me a boost in this thing, compared to the Celeron it's sporting right now.

A caged squirrel would be better than a Celly, man. :D

Oh I know that, hence why I'd like to get a different CPU LOL. Would like something like an e2180 to work in it...but I don't know for sure that it'll in fact work, even after the BIOS update =\. Otherwise I'll go for a Pentium D 900 series (if I can even find one, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom