Intel slaps Nvidia with a trout! No SLI support for Nehalems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drizzt

Fully Optimized
Rumor has it that the next-generation CPU micro-architecture from Intel will not come with support for Nvidia's SLI enthusiast technology. Shortly put, Intel has stripped SLI support from
the Nehalem Bloomfield-ready chipsets.

The rumor comes right after Nvidia directly engaged Intel in a tough battle on the discrete GPU market, as previously reported. Intel is determined to follow the line imposed in the 38 and X48 high end chipsets rigged on the reference boards.

The first generation of Nehalem processors, based on the 45-nanometer micro-architecture will completely lack SLI support, and Intel plans to adopt AMD's CrossFireX technology for the graphics part. However, if Intel finds a way to completely strip the SLI support off its Nehalem chipsets, Nvidia will likely be left outside the ultra-high-end CPU market, which would translate into substantial income losses.

Intel has a long history in playing tricks on Nvidia, as it previously forgotten to inform the graphics manufacturer that it performed changes to the 45-nanometer Yorkfield micro-architecture. Back then, Nvidia wasted important amounts of money in replacing its reference designs from the 680i to the 780i chipset.

The CPU manufacturer's decision is expected to affect the whole industry. While Nvidia will lose another potential market and a huge part of its revenue, AMD will get another opportunity of promoting its own graphics cards offerings, a business that could swing AMD back to profit.

On the other side, the Intel – AMD partnership seems to be a holy union of two arch-rivals engaged in a cut-throat business, and could eventually damage Intel's supremacy on the CPU market.

Moreover, Intel is expected to accelerate its work on the Larrabee multi-core graphics project, and deliver the second generation of Nehalem chips bundled with the new graphics solution.

Source

There you go... That is not good news for all those people out there looking forward to these chips and who are in love with SLI.

And that Multi-core graphics project seems like they are trying to destroy ATI and Nvidia at the same time to me.

I wonder if this is an attempt by Intel to keep AMD alive while maintaining their dominance in the cpu market. If they completely strip sli support from Nehalem Intel would be handing the high end gpu market to ati, which would help keep AMD in business and allow Intel to avoid the monopoly(and resulting legal problems) that would occur if AMD goes under.

I wonder if this is an attempt by Intel to keep AMD alive while maintaining their dominance in the cpu market. If they completely strip sli support from Nehalem Intel would be handing the high end gpu market to ati, which would help keep AMD in business and allow Intel to avoid the monopoly(and resulting legal problems) that would occur if AMD goes under.

thats a good hypothesis, and its most likely correct

AMD wins the GPU's and Intel wins the CPU fight without facing legal action against them

This can turn out good for the people with older intel processors (as in old compared to the nehalems) and obviously for AMD users who favor Nvidia. LOW prices :).

Did i spell trout right? looks wierd...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom