just got a new hard drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogueSeven

In Runtime
Greets,

i recently got a new hard drive as my old 200 gig is pretty old, so i bought a new 250 gig hard drive. so i looked for my windows xp disk, found it, and unfortunately it is only the upgrade version, i thought i could prolly just find my old 98 disk and upgrade, but i cant find my old 98 disk, so i was wondering if it is a possibility to just copy EVERYTHING from my current hard drive and paste it into a new one, like taking a file from one flash drive and putting it into another. im cure i CAN copy and paste everything, but will it work? will i be able to have basically the same computer but with 50 more gigs of space?

i would go out and buy another XP disk but i currently cannot find anywhere and i hear that even after SP1 vista still blows...

thanks for help

You can use a prog like Ghost to Image the drive and then restore it to the new drive, but why not just add the 2nd drive as a data drive then you'll have the whole drive instead of just 50 GB

Okay my first question is why? Does the 200GB drive like squeak or is it dying? Is that why you want to move?

Vista sucking is your opinion. I know several thousand people that like it....

Bruce is right. Have to buy Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to do this with it still being functional.

i dont hear any squeaking, but i think it is only a matter of time as i have had the computer since april of 2005, using it a lot, i think it should have gone out by now but it still works.

any chance you could tell me how to use the second hard drive as basically adding 250 gigs to my hard drive? wasnt aware i could do that

oh yeah, would also like to add that even though the hard drive is a 200 gig, says 200 gigs on it, when looking at it in my computer it only says 178 gigs.

regards.

Hard drives can last quite a while if treated right; I have a couple hard drives 10+ years old that still work, and have seen/used some that are even older than that. They still work perfect.

Hard drives can last quite a while if treated right; I have a couple hard drives 10+ years old that still work, and have seen/used some that are even older than that. They still work perfect.

ahh, that is nice to know, i thought lifetime was usually around 3 or 4 years

anyways, how would i run the 2 hard drives, basically as 1?

You'd have to set up a RAID0. Why don't you just put the drive in there as a data drive alongside your existing drive?

i do currently have the 250 gig plugged into the computer and such, but it doesnt show up in my computer. and could i get a definition of data drive? not exactly sure what you mean

Make sure you have the power/data cables plugged in tight. If you do, then you'll have to do this (since its a new drive, you'll probably have to do this anyway):

Start > right click on 'Computer' > go to Manage... > on the left pane, go to "Disk Management" > find your 250GB drive in the list at the bottom half of the right side of the screen > right click on it > click "create partition" > perform a full format on it.

And a data drive is just that: a drive to store your data on. Just put all of your miscellaneous files on it (pictures, videos, music, downloads, etc), so if you have to reinstall your OS, you don't have to backup your data, but everything will already be on a separate drive.

thanks for the help, got it all sorted out (data drive and such) 250 gig hard drive is currently formatting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom