Is DDR3 really worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is...even at DDR3 2000, the FSB is still going to limit the performance. The difference is just not worth the price premium. Now if that DDR3 that costs you 4 times as much as DDR2 gave you a 3-4x performance gain it would be worth it. But a 10% increase in performance for a 400% price premium is just not viable. The reason nehalem will take advantage of ddr3 is due to the on board memory controller and doing away with the ancient FSB.

Yes but soon ddr3will be standard.

All the new chipsets are using it exclusively with the exception of a couple frankenboards...

I would say within a year ddr3 will be the norm in sub $1000 custom built systems. Just a guess...

The thing is...even at DDR3 2000, the FSB is still going to limit the performance. The difference is just not worth the price premium. Now if that DDR3 that costs you 4 times as much as DDR2 gave you a 3-4x performance gain it would be worth it. But a 10% increase in performance for a 400% price premium is just not viable. The reason nehalem will take advantage of ddr3 is due to the on board memory controller and doing away with the ancient FSB.

Oh they're doing on board finally? Sheesh, AMD went that route forever ago.

Honestly though, the price of DDR3 is not that high. I remember paying $280 for my 2Gb OCZ Titanium Kit less than 2 years ago...

We've just been spoiled by the low cost of ddr2, and I have a feeling the market is going to crash soon and we're going to some some big price hikes.

agreed.... i remember a time during s939 i had to buy my g.skill hz's for about 120 dollars a pop.. FOR 1 GIG....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom