my new q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. I know what thermal paste does, I just didn't think I'd need any if I wasn't overclocking. I figured fans would do the job.

If you use the stock heatsink that comes with the cpu, how can you tell if the thermal paste is pre-applied?

Yeah. I know what thermal paste does, I just didn't think I'd need any if I wasn't overclocking. I figured fans would do the job.

If you use the stock heatsink that comes with the cpu, how can you tell if the thermal paste is pre-applied?

There should be a little pad like thing on it. You got the copper part, then there should be something else on top of it. Intel's paste/pad
is white.

I just got a replacement motherboard today, and I must have put wayyyy too much thermal paste on before when I got a new motherboard. My temps are so much lower now.

thermal paste is definately not just for overclocking, ALL cpu's need paste. everything from an old p2 to the latest quad core. not only that, if it has a heat sink on it, it has thermal paste. vid cards heat sinks have paste, the northbridge/southbridge sets have paste, MOSFET has paste. without the paste the heatsinks cannot conduct heat away, and will get very very hot.think of it as a cooling gel lol

It's not only for heat. If the heatsink and CPU are touching without paste or a pad, your CPU might short. Metal to metal friction can cause static electricity.

Well that's the main reason this forum exists! When I first came here I really didn't know much at all about computers. I learned from the seniors here and now I'm a senior myself :). Goes in generations I guess.

i think everyone, even the seniors here learn something new everyday XD... well you could call me a senior from my post count but i have only been here 4.5 months.

Of course we learn new things but generally we're the ones who answer the questions now. A few of my first posts were pretty funny. I thought I knew a lot about computers until I go back and read them now and boy was I wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom