my new q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakypants

Baseband Member
Ok so i built everything and stuff right and im getting ready to install windows but i check bios and check pc health status, it tells me my cpu is idling at 88 degrees CELSIUS what is wrong?

are you using a stock heatsink (one that cam in the cpu box) if so then it is pre applied but otherwise you have to buy and apply it yourself. If you didn't use the stock cpu heatsink and don't have thermal paste leave your comp off until you do, you may already have damaged it.

It isn't applied all the time at all. Sneaky you should really read up on everything and make sure you know what you're doing before building a computer.

Make sure it's installed properly and is actually touching the CPU. With Intel all four pins are firmly in the motherboard so much that you should almost be able to lift your computer from it (don't actually try to lift your computer). Just pull up moderately hard and wiggle it around gently.

Well I would have agreed with you except that a PC I built two days ago with a stock Intel HSF didn't come with it. There was another AMD a while back I believe that didn't have it either. Might just be a company error I don't really know. :)

does this only apply if you overclock?

I was thinking about getting a q6600 instead of the e8400. I am not planning on overclocking.

No, it applies to non-overclocking as well. You should always apply tehermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom