Windows Update Options Greyed Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain

Baseband Member
Hi All,
I have one W2K3 Server which has the Automatic Update options greyed out. The Server is part of an OU which does not have this policy applied. I've verified this by using the RSOP, as well as checking other servers in this OU. The same problem occurs logging in as Local Admin. There are also no local GPO settings applied, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I would really like to avoid making Registry changes as this should be handled within Windows somewhere.

Any help is much appreciated.

The only way i can think of is by making certain registry changes...i can list them if that's the way you want to go.

I haven't in this post as you mentioned you dont really want to do that :)

The only way i can think of is by making certain registry changes...i can list them if that's the way you want to go.

I haven't in this post as you mentioned you dont really want to do that :)

Thats fine, after looking at the registry more in depth, it does seem as though there may have been manual registry changes made. I've compared to another W2K3 box, and the other server doesnt even have the same Windows Update keys.

Im looking in:
HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Update

I've checked other servers and they dont have a key in this location at all. Should i just modify keys, or delete this entire registry folder completely? Obviously I'll be doing a backup before doing this.

With a issue like this you would be best off contacting Microsoft Support. Since you stated yourself that it seems that the registry has been updated manually which could be some form of tampering and the only sure fire way to know the correct settings is from Microsoft themselves.

We can compare machine all we want but that still might not be the right answer.

I know with xp you could disable windows update like that pre sp2and not post sp2. try updating the service pack or import it into nlite and make changes

I know with xp you could disable windows update like that pre sp2and not post sp2. try updating the service pack or import it into nlite and make changes

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to backup my reg, delete the key and give it a reboot. Like I said, this key doesnt exist on other servers, so I'm thinking the registry was specifically modified.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to backup my reg, delete the key and give it a reboot. Like I said, this key doesnt exist on other servers, so I'm thinking the registry was specifically modified.

Bigger question is WHY? And by whom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom