Possible To Watercool RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
I have four sticks of Crucial Ballistix Tracers right now, and I find they run exceedingly hot (hot enough to burn me if I try to touch them) and they aren't even overclocked. Would it be possible (in the future when I build my new rig and watercool the rest of the parts) to watercool the RAM aswell, to keep the temps down, or are they supposed to run hot?

what kind of voltage on them?
and what kind of airflow in your case?
i dont think they should be hot enough to burn you.
here's a good rule of thumb:
if it's inside your case and it burns you, it's too hot.

What if you have delicate skin?

Ya even in a cheap 2 buck case with like 1 intake and outtake fan you shouldn't have ram that is hot to the skin... if you haven't been messing around in bios. Btw why did u touch the ram sticks?

Think igloo. And polar bears.

Ambient temp in here is around 23°, cpu idles at 43/45, full load around 48/49. I touched the RAM because I was testing it (switching between slots 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 to rule out bad RAM). It was bloody hot, maybe not hot enough to burn me, but hot. Not overclocked at all, running at the stock 800MHz / 1.8v. Airflow I would say is decent, not amazing. 1x120mm in the front pushing air past 4 hard drives, a 120mm sucking air out and a 120mm in the psu.

And I was hoping for watercooling over fans because, since this is going to be in my living room, I dont want a million fans making it too loud

quite a warm cpu you got there, yet load looks ok. i wouldnt imagine its to do with leds as they dont create much heat at all. My normal ballistix are luke warm to the touch and my airflow is nothing amazing.

yeh maybe a small fan something like this Antec SpotCool System Cooler find that sweet spot. your circulation might be one cause, not enough airflow around the ram area. But It does sounds iffy man they shouldnt really be that hot. Maybe you can find some related threads on crucial forum. At the very worst id get a small fan ;)

Water cooling memory is absolutely pointless.

Grab that corsair fan thingy and worst case hook it up to a fan controller. Just a little constant airflow over the memory will do wonders. And it'll cost you about 40 bucks less than get a memory water block. Not to mention all the other bits and pieces you'd need to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom