Windows Vista Widgets/ RAM question. Sort of a double topic thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
Disclaimer- Please, no Vista/Gadget flameing. Some of us has capable hardware and like to turn on eye candy and other things when we're not gaming :)

First part-

What Gadgets are you guys running and what sites do you guys go to get your Gadgets? Currently I'm running a memory reader, hard drive reader, CPU core usage reader, a bubble where you type in stuff and the computer talks (haha, it's fun), and a run prompt, where you can use it as a normal Run box and also type in a www. address.

Second part-

RAM question. I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit and 4GB of DDR2-800 Patriot Viper Fin's @ 4-4-3-12 1T. The RAM reader one says this-

2961MB / 4093 MB
1135 MB / 28%

The top would lead you to believe I'm using up almost 3GB of memory by simply having widgets open and Internet Explorer. Which sounds extremely unreasonable. The lower part makes more sense and shows I'm using up just over 1GB of RAM, just over a quarter of it all.

Any idea on what the top could mean? It's the "Memory Meter".

I run several gadget. Clock, Weather, CPU Monitor, Date, 2 Picutre Viewers. I only get my gadgets from the Windows Gallery.

The RAM question. It happens. After a few days of running the sidebar takes up a amazing amount of RAM. That process alone can take up to 1.5GB of RAM. Close it down and fully exit it and then restart it. Your RAM usage will drop dramaticlly.

Swe your assumptions are wrong. I run my laptop with 1GB of RAM and the sidebar. It barely uses more than 512MB WITH a browser and several tabs open.

Right now a process called "dwm.exe" is taking up most of it, 48,732k. Then iexplorer, and third highest is, of course, sidebar, taking up 21,120k.

I'm surprised it's not taking up more RAM then it actually is? I wonder how many widgets are possible to have open? I have downloaded a library of them in case I wan't to add or change ones later. I think just for the **** of it I'll put as many up as I can, I'm curious to see how much RAM this can really take up.

dwm is the Desktop Window Manager also known as Aero. You can have 2 pages of gadgets as far as i know. There is the arrows at the top which will allow you to switch pages if you wish. I have not tested how many you can have as i dont like to flip pages to see the gadgets. :p

At one point i have had my sidebar taking up 2GB of my 3GB. That was a good one. :laughing:

Thanks for the explanation of dwm mak.

Haha, yea. Two pages is well,lame. Not very convenient. I'm going to tonight to see how much it takes up, I guess I'm curious.

2GB with the sidebar!! Bahahahaha. That's a LOT of RAM taken up.

Not a problem. I usually am multitaksing when i get the sidebar to act up. Running things like WinAmp for music, WMP for videos, IM windows, XFire, Browser, Photoshop, along with several Explorer Windows open.

So yeah i have lots going on at all times. :p

Sidebar was takin up 2GB and i had to restart the machine to get control of it again. That was a fun day.

Hahahaha. Finally got my comp to freeze.

Ran more then 15 gadgets, AVG scanning in the background, playing a song, more then 10 windows opened, and windows media center in the background. Oh, and two instances of Orthos. Doing CPU and RAM.

Congrats i guess? :laughing:

At least you finally found your limit.

Haha, yea. That's not realistic at all. My "limit" is much higher then I needed. But 2GB was too small IMO, especially since I use 2.55 while gaming, I could have gone 3GB, but I wanted 2x dimms open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom