Need: Small Cheap laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zencao

Beta member
Hi there :D

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, any mods feel free to move it if it is.

I'm entering sixth form soon, and I have DCD which has given me terrible handwriting, but the schools have allowed me to use a tiny computer in lessons and exams to compensate.

I used to use a PDA and a infa-red keyboard, but it was too much hassle to use a crap notepad-style app to write and then having to use the card to transfer it all and then process it and carry it in parts and so on...

So now I'm looking for as small and cheap a laptop I can find to use in sixth form. Anything goes, it just needs a decent text app, internet access, and some way to transfer it to the printer.

Any suggestions?

The ASUS weee would be great. I haven't tried it, but I heard it's a good machine for basic functions like what you're looking for :)

This Looks like a good choice to me, but I'm not sure if 4gigs is... Well... Enough, I'm a fan of needless software gadgets which would probably clog it up... But worst comes to worst this does look like a great choice, thanks man :)

Yeah an eee would be perfect, if you need more storage just get an sdhc card and use that as yer second hard drive. You can also use a flash drive if you've got one.

I think the screen on the eee is a bit on the small side but if you can wait a while the 9 inch eee that will have a windows option will be out.

Well the 8.9" model is out now in the US, not sure about other places. You can install Windows on it easily enough if you've got a copy.

Hop on ebay or craigslist or whatever and look for a Toshiba Portege R100. It's a 12.1" ultraportable, weighs less than a kilo and you can get up to 6 hrs of battery life if you've got the second battery. It runs XP great with 512-768mb of ram, 1.1ghz Centrino and 30gb hd. I got this one over the eee because I wanted a normal sized keyboard and 7" was just too big. Real thin, too. The R100 runs around $400 (USD) used so it's about the same price but better over all, I think. Check out some reviews and see what you think!

I'd buy a new EEE over a couple year old used Toshiba.

Its not really the same.

Old laptops = Bad Batteries, No Warranty, Wear on the Keyboard, Increased likelyhood of hard drive failing, hard to get repaired, ect.

Just buy the eee and a really good sized SD card.

*shrugs*

Or that is what I would (will when I have cash) do.

But...the eee is going to start putting the atom cpu in their models in june, which operates at 1.8ghz and used a tenth of the power consumption. Better battery life, and more power. Since summer is coming anyway, why not buy at the end of the summer? This school year is almost over.

I don't know about that...I bought a used ThinkPad on eBay and it was in perfect condition...the battery was shot, but I bought a new one (big deal, batteries wear out in new laptops too).

However, the eeePC is supposed to be really nice. I use Linux on my ThinkPad and my desktop (and soon to install Ubuntu 8.04 on my new HP laptop), and it's a nice OS. I'm not sure about the Linux that comes on the eee, but it's probably pretty good for light tasks. That said, you can install Windows XP if you really feel the need to.

But...the eee is going to start putting the atom cpu in their models in june, which operates at 1.8ghz and used a tenth of the power consumption. Better battery life, and more power. Since summer is coming anyway, why not buy at the end of the summer? This school year is almost over.

Hey, question for you. Do you know the price/link to this newer model coming out? I have a full sized 17" laptop that does everything I need it to do, but a bit to big to take to class with me.

Give me a holler back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom