Mobo for E8400 or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicoDirenzo

Fully Optimized
My curent mobo (EVGA 680i) really isn't cutting the mustard with the E8400 as the temps are high and I hae been going back and forth on whether or not to water cool it. It seems to me that I should be looking at the 780i or 790i series boards? I'm beginning to think that I should just off the E8400 and pickup a Q6600 as the prices are starting to tank. Thumbs up on the new mobo? Thumbs up on the sale of the E8400 and purchase of the Q6600 and keeping my current stuff? Thanks!

What temps are going high? If it is just the E8400's temps, get a high end heatsink/fan like the Thermaltake Ultra 120 or the more affordable Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. The E8400 (if not overclocked) should be fine with the stock heat sink fan, but if it is still getting hot, this would be a much cheaper solution rather than the quad core upgrade.

That really all depends on what his needs are. For maximum gaming compatibility, dual core for now would be best and should still last him a good year or two. If it's future proofing or multi-core applications that he will be running, then obviously the q6600 would be a good investment and could probably last him for 3-4 years without upgrading.

i'd say get the quad regardless. 8400 clocked at 4ghz and the q6600 clocked at 3.6ghz won't make that much of a difference.

Thermalpoop :D lol Thermaltake does blow

btw which 680i are you on?

get the 750i FTW though, its good, and it's just the so-called "crippled" 780i because there's no Tri-SLI, but since you have dual 8800gts' I don't think you need the Tri-SLI, and Tri-SLI does suck ;)

I put in an ASRock 1600P35-Wifi+ along with an E8400 without any heat issues. It boots up very fast to me, but then it's in a CMStacker tower case with plenty of fans.
The board has all solid capacitors and was only about $129 from Newegg. I did spring for some Kingston Hyper-X memory, so maybe it all helps to allow the CPU to run fast and smooth.

Yes, the fans are always running noticiably, but they work very well.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/works-great-172456/#post1359778

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom