Help with my gaming PC? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes that would be the card. If you look through the reviews, you'll probably see one by surgeVel in there :D

As far as an OS goes, I would recommend Vista Home Premium 32-bit for now. There are some applications that do not fully support 64-bit operating systems. Plus, you can always upgrade in a year or two to a 64-bit operating system, because your configuration can easily handle everything needed. Vista is actually some $$ cheaper so go with it over XP.

Let me know if you need any help.

I would recommend 64 bit.

Supports up to 16 gig ram so you can take full advantage of your 2x2 gig sticks

And the application issue is small and only effects a small amount of programs, which will get fixed.

once you get all your 64bit drivers sorted.. its plain sailing :)

yeh i think the system generally runs slightly quicker also your 64bit applications.. vista has 2 program file folders so anything 32bit just gets installed into 'program files x86' runs fast not that youll really notice a difference. Obviously there's gonna be a few applications that might not like vista but thats not a big deal. You can run XP 32bit in Vista 64bit with Virtual Machine program if you really need that app working or just have a dual boot. Vista hogs slightly more ram then xp about 1gb being idle.. so you can get away with 2gb but 4gb is deffo recommended.

;)

kk, thanks. The mobo I'm going to buy has 4 RAM slots, so I can go up to 8GB or more in the future, so RAM won't be a problem.

Vista Home Premium is the one I should buy, correct? I don't have much experience installing an OS, so I'm not quite sure which one I need...

Yes. Home Premium (Make sure it's 64-bit). Installation is easy. On bootup just insert the CD and when prompted hit any key to boot to the CD. Then follow the simple step by step instructions. Vista does take a while to load at times, so if you ever think it has frozen on a particular screen, give it a few minutes and see if things change.

Alright then, I think that's all my questions for now. haha
Don't worry, I'm sure I'll think of some more soon. ;)
Thanks for all of your help so far.

Oh yeah, I forgot, I do need an OS. Which OS should I purchase for the best gaming? XP Prof/Home or Vista? And what about 32 or 64 bit? I'm slightly confused about the different bit sizes...

Get a 64bit so you can use all your RAM. 32bit will not use all 4gb of RAM that you will be purchasing. It's your call on whether to go with vista or xp.

edit: sorry. just realized that was answered.

Hey ShaolinDreams, I see you are a gamer (from your sig). Do you use Vista or XP?
I see you use Vista, surgeVel. How do you like it? Do you play games on your PC and have you had any major problems with it?

I've been reading a lot about Vista vs XP and it seems XP is better for gaming...
I'm just seeing if y'all have any opinions that could help me decide. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom