Mixed GT200 Info, 9900 series = G92b

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
NordicHardware Source

Nos, who knows a guy, has mentioned this before...

More and more GT200 information has started circulating and that could only mean that we're closing in on the final tuning. The chip was taped out just recently, which means that it's lagging the RV770 by a couple of months, but most importantly, NVIDIA doesn't have to launch a new chip today. It already has competitive chips on the market. While G92 and G92b (55nm) will not offer any architectural advancements, GT200 will. DirectX 10.1 is suppose to be one of them. We know for a fact that the chip will be in the 1 billion transistor range, some say even up to 1.3 billion, at 65nm.

Unlike AMD/ATI, NVIDIA is not expected to use GDDR5. Instead it will go for a more complex PCB with GDDR3, which means a wider bus instead of higher memory frequency. GDDR3 chips tops out at 1100MHz today. We expect GT200 to use these chips, and with a 512-bit bus it puts it on par with RV770 and its 256-bit bus and 4GHz GDDR5 memory.

The clusters have changed from 16 shaders per cluster to 24 per cluster, most likely MADD + MUL, and 10 clusters with the high-end part, which means 240 shaders all in all. These will be accompanied by 32 ROPs, 120 TMUs and 120 TFUs. The core clock will hopefully be in the area of 600-650MHz, which means shader clocks around 1500MHz.

As mentioned above, you won't see the card anytime soon, but it's not because it won't be ready but because NVIDIA doesn't have to launch it to stay on top. This is a single core chip, and rumors are that there will be more than plenty of stripped down versions, if needed. It all depends on what AMD/ATI delivers.

We're guessing late Q3 or early Q4, time will tell. And this is not the GeForce 9900 series. The 9900 series will be based on the 55nm G92b core.

NordicHardware Source 2

GeForce 9800GT will most likely become the first chip based on the shrunk G92b core at 55nm. The card is slated for July and this most likely means that GeForce 8800GT will be around until then. The upgrade to the 9 series will add Hybrid Power support, but still not 3-way SLI. Overall specifications are suspected to be the same. The power consumption should be substantially lowered though, and just like other models of the GeForce 9 series, there will most likely be tons of factory overclocked cards.

9800GT 10nm shrink from the 8800GT gotcha
so still delaying the "9900 series" with this thing. Well we seen a 512-bit memory interface and we know the results...

This is slightly disappointing... so I'm assuming that the GT200 is most likely not even going to be part of the 9-Series, that's insane.

and we're still stuck with G92... I'm starting to rethink the idea of whether or not G92 has been a blessing or not.. it's brought high-end graphics processing to the masses, but they seem to be whoring this chip so much and not bringing forth any significant leap in tech since November 2006... we're just greeted by lazy attempts like the 9800GX2 and 9800GTX... and now this... G92b... give me a break.

I hope ATI comes swinging back out again with a godly gpu and give Nvidia a well-placed, nuclear-blast kick in the nuts, like they did with their own 9-series back in the day

This is slightly disappointing... so I'm assuming that the GT200 is most likely not even going to be part of the 9-Series, that's insane.

and we're still stuck with G92... I'm starting to rethink the idea of whether or not G92 has been a blessing or not.. it's brought high-end graphics processing to the masses, but they seem to be whoring this chip so much and not bringing forth any significant leap in tech since November 2006... we're just greeted by lazy attempts like the 9800GX2 and 9800GTX... and now this... G92b... give me a break.

I hope ATI comes swinging back out again with a godly gpu and give Nvidia a well-placed, nuclear-blast kick in the nuts, like they did with their own 9-series back in the day

+1

Ironically for us to get better Nvidia cards out there we need ATI to do there part lol.

Idk about the 9800gx2 being lazy but the 9800gtx was a complete lazy attempt like you said. It's been repeated on these forums many times, the 9800GTX seems to be like the 8800 gts g92 oc'd.

Werd, I agree with all you guys.

It's been said time and time again, becaue it's pretty LAME. Dumb dumb dumb.

We need ATI to step it up, just like they did back with their 9000 series forever ago. The ATI 9800pro even kicked Half Life 2's *** back in the day! They're a very capable company, they just need to really step it up. No competition for the higher end market is a very bad thing, because we get stuck with stuff like the 8800GTX since Nov 2006! And then, nvidia crap's out the 9000 series.

Seriously, it's like Nvidia pooped out the 9 series to BARELY get ahead of ATI. No bueno folks, no bueno.

I'm fine w/ these new cards coming out and not performing so great. Just means mine will last longer.

So it means that my 8800gt's in Sli are good for a couple of more years is what I'm hearing? That's fine with me as I have no problems running anything that is thrown at my puter to date!

ATI makes great cards (on paper). They just cant write drivers that are worth a crap and make the cards live up to their spec sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom