Maxtor Hard Drive wont work without Bios!!! Need help here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With an SATA, it uses a red thickish wire.

Do i also need a Parellel ATA cable and a SATA Parellel Cable?

Not sure on the model, il post that in a minute.

The problem is what I stated above. It's got nothing to do with the BIOS. well partly-There is a SATA Bios that might need to be enable in the main bios so that the system will load up a BIOS for the SATA Raid. Then you have to assign a RAID config to the SATA Bios. That way some controller sees it a being active.

make sence?

when the pc boots, you should see the standard Bios. if that continues on, then you might see one of the two onboard SATA RAID controllers load on screen. One is a Promise controller and the other is a VIA supplied with the chipset. If you don't see them they are not enabled in the Bios, then you will have to do that. they should be under a heading of onboard configs or something simular within the BIOS.

The way the SATA works is simular to older SCSI. It needs a different interface and due to this, the BIOS doens't see it by default. As the tech grows, it should but not yet. Anyway, due to this, you need the drivers to use the drive as a boot drive as well. It looks like that is the only drive in this system so there will be some work to do to get this working I suspect...

Ohhhh!!! It's SATA. My bad...

The BIOS will not detect a SATA HDD. Only the RAID Utility can. You can use it by pressing F6 (install third-party drivers) at the begining of the Windows setup. Choose the driver for your SATA controller, or your South Bridge (if you have onboard SATA).

I will try both of those.

BTW, by 3rd party drivers, you mean take a driver from this comp im on, and put it into my other comp?

should be with the motherboard. Like a driver CD or something. Might even be a floppy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom