Hard drive is no longer being detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
On one of my desktop pcs the HDD is no longer being detected by the computer. I am trying to troubleshoot the problem and am thinking about temporarily hooking up an HDD from another computer to the one that is having problems. Doing so won't result in the HDD becoming blank or something, will it?

The first thing to try would be a new data cable to see if that is the problem. The flat ribbon type often give out on an older system where the drive will suddenly disappear if still working. If the drive itself failed you might need a professional data recovery service to see files on it retrieved for a price!

Simply plugging in a different drive will show if the cable is the actual problem. That would be the "low cost" item to see replaced if found bad. Even if the heads on the drive are no longer working the data still remains on the drive's platters.

If the cable is found to be the problem you won't have anything to worry about once it is replaced since all files will still be seen once you have it in use again. But the most common advice given is the one most often ignored namely "make frequent backups"!

I meant the data getting erased on the drive that I get from another pc. Also, I don't have any more power cables for my psu, which requires a certain type. Hopefully it's either the drive or the data cable. If it's the power cable i'm screwed :(.

Simply moving a drive from system to system won't see anything on the drive itself lost. For running the OS from it then you would likely see a reformat and fresh install of the OS seeing previous information removed.

For simply seeing if the drive can be seen by the bios and OS on another drive that will test the cable on a known to working drive to see if that's no good and needs replacement. If a good drive isn't seen on the post screen the cable is the focus there unless the jumper setting with an ide drive is set wrong. You can even try the cable on the other system without removing the drive there to see if it's any good and save time that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom