Cd burner wont burn faster then 4x...

Status
Not open for further replies.

72montecarlo

Baseband Member
I've been using the cd burner i have in my computer for awhile now with no problems. I've been using roxio easy cd creator 5 platinum and everything worked fine. Just the other day i was burning some things to a cd-rw and my options are 1,2,and 4x so i choose 4 and burn what i need. then later i go to burn a music cd which was a 52x cd and my options still are at most 4x. now i know this is not a cd-rw and the drive supports up to 16x cd-r burning. I figured ok benefit of the doubt its just whacked out for one reason or another so i reastart the program and try a different cd-r but still only can burn at 4x. So i restart the computer and when i get back try again and STILL only 4x capable on a cd that i should be able to do 16x. Now it does burn if i choose 4x but i dont feel like waiting 20mins when it should be done in 5. ive also uninstalled and reinstalled the optical drive to no avail. im really lost on this one.

have you looked for a firmware upgrade for the CDrom?

http://us.lgservice.com/
Good luck

PS:

Ok, so the link is for the LG site, cause I thought your sig said LG CDrom. but that would be LG DVDrom. so go to the manufacturer site and pull any firmware you might find...

For some reason with easy cd creator, when you lower the speed, it assumes you always want to keep it that way. There's notheing wrong with your CD burner. Unfortunatly, I can't for the life of me remember how to change the speed back. I'll get back to you if I find something on it...

there is a key in the registry that might asist this. Silence's post mnade me think of it. It is a upper and lower limits key in the Class key for CDroms.
HKLM\system\CurrentConrtolSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

BEFORE EDITING THE REGISTRY MAKE A BACK UP, by selecting the keyname you are going to edit and clicking file, export. Save the file to a place you know where it's at. then edit away...
if you delete the Upper limit or Lower limit key, that might fix this.

I tried what you said to do with the registry but it ended up messing up my cd drives real bad. i could see em in my computer but if i tried to access my dvd rom said nothing was in there when something was so i just loaded teh registry back to before i changed it. The cd-rw in device manager sais its a TEAC CD-W54E so i will look for the firmware and try to update it. i checked to make sure nothing else changed and im still limited to the 4x burn speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom