Questions about RAID Controllers and Changing Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Not sure if this is true or not. Would like to confirm this with any one that has done this before.

We all know that with the windows operating system (2k, Xp, Vista, Server 2003), if we change a to a different motherboard, there is an extremely good chance that the we need to re-install the operating system on that hard drive. Otherwise, you boot into Windows and before you know it, you have a BSoD.

Reason being is that there is some thing different with the hard drive controller, and windows has BSoD because it's detected a new hard drive controller, but can not do any thing about it because it can not access the hard drive in order to fix this problem. In reasent memory, i have only had 2 times where i was able to change a hard drive from one motherboard to another and not have to re-install windows Xp.

However I did have some one suggest to me that if I am running the hard drives through a hard drive controller or a RAID card (eg. an Adaptec RAID 1220SA ), provided that I do not change the Raid controller, I would be able to move the hard drive with windows xp/vista/2003 operating system from one motherboard to another with out having the BoSDing windows during boot up.

Has any one had any experience in doing this????
Will this work?

I just got off the phone with adaptec.
They are not recommending it as there are 4 things that cause BSoD when changing a motherboard.
1. Hard Drive Controller
2. Northbridge Controller
3. Southbridge Controller
4. PCI Controller.

All I am doing is guaranteeing the hthe hard drive controller is not going to BSoD on me. There is are still 3 other problems that can still happen.

(sigh) I remember the easlier days of Win95/98/Me when you could get away with changing a motherboard with out reinstalling the OS.

in other words, it's not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom