Windows XP problem - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I overclocked my ram to 1066MHz, I lowered it back to 800MHz, Ill see if that helps.

The way you have been trying to oc everything it could be a video card on the way out while still not sounding any one long two short beep alerts. The problem seems to be graphical like either driver or hardware related.

With the software side already addressed you have to start looking at hardwares like a fault now being seen with the display adapter one leading cause for problems, the mouse itself, the port or socket it's plugged into, or another glitch from a bad reinstall of Windows or the software/drivers for the mouse itself.

The first thing I would try would be siimply switching usb ports if that is a usb model to see if it suddenly started working again exposing a bad port. A second port seen not working would point at the mouse itself as bad.

One reason for keeping a spare mouse onhand is for troubleshooting any unexpected problems if they come up. What you have there it seems is one of four things maybe more then one.
1-bad mouse, 2-bad port, 3-bad plug, 4-bad install of something?

This holds no grounds. He states in the OP that it happens randomly. Which means that the mouse was working before but not now. He freshly installed XP as well. So a repair install might do it other than that it would be bad drivers.

The port has to be working if he is already using it and then it just stops.

Try chipset drivers.

If a port simply quit without notice or wire let go insides a plug how would you know that right away? Mice also give out from wear. The idea is to use the process of elimination to first rule things out before going through any unnecessary steps.

A port wouldnt just give out during use. It would not work from boot and would never work again. Not go away upon restart. Then work for a period of time and stop again. If that is the case it would be a issue with the mother board having intermitten shortages with the power. Meaning that the mother board would be defective.

The mouse would also not just stop working then work again after a restart and then stop again. If it was gonna go it would act the same way the whole time you used it. Not on and off.

Maybe you haven't gone through enough of them to know then! :eek: :p

I've run into some real beauts for cheapo mice over the years that simply fall apart upon use! :rolleyes:

Intermittent problems can also come up with ports as well as mice. You can easily stretch standard PS/2 and usb ports alike when moving a case around and seeing the cord pulled sideways while plugged in seeing some damage that way as well.

If the contacts in the mouse itself become worn or polluted with debris that will also cause problems at times. Even optical mice have to be cleaned just like you would with a mechanical mouse to see those work well. Trying out another of the same type of mouse will show right away if the problem is the mouse itself or something else needing to be looked at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom