Alienware Area-51 m15x/HP Pavilion dv9700t

Status
Not open for further replies.
The m15x is superior as far as upgrade options and performance. It's also probably a little bit more portable than the DV9700T. But it's very expensive, even at its base price. Probably far more than most people are willing to spend on a laptop. Once you start adding options, you could be into 2 or 3 grand very quickly. So if money is not an issue, the m15x would be the best bet.

On the other hand, the DV9700T offers a great bang for your buck, especially when APP (starting at under $900) or $300 or $500 coupons are available. It has a bigger screen and quieter fan. It's also got a nice finish, but different from Alienware's approach (I think the lighted keyboard on the m15x is nice). But like I said, probably the best thing about the HP is the price.

My view of laptops has changed drastically since I got my EeePC. 17, 15, and 14 inch models are too big for me now (I currently own a DV6000Z). But if you like big laptops, the two you are considering are really good options.

Product Detail
[1] Area-51® m15x

Display: 15.4" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD (720p) with Clearview Technology
System Lighting: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Red
Video/Graphics Card: 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8700M GT
Processor: Which processor won't bottleneck anything? Which one should I get? Intel Core 2 Duo T7100 (1.8GHz) or T8300 (2.4GHz)? Is it worth wasting 150$ more?
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Home Premium
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: Without Media Center Remote Control or TV Tuner
Memory: planning to go to newegg and buy memory to save money. Can I get any DDR2 667 memory and add it?
System Drive: How much space should I get? 5400RPM or 7200RPM?
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW)
Wireless: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Sound Card : Internal High-Definition Audio with surround sound
Keyboard Options: AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard – Exclusive Design

I just bought a dv9700t with:
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 (2.50GHz 6MB L2)
3GB DDR2 SDRAM (2 DIMM)
250GB SATA HDD (1 drive, but the computer has 2 bays)
NVIDIA 8600M GS 512MB
17" 1680x1050 BrightView Display
WiFi b/g/n with Bluetooth
Integrated Webcam + dual microphones + Fingerprint Reader

I haven't got the comp yet (it's a graduation present, so I won't get it until late next month, but I already ordered it) but it looks incredible and I saw one in stores. It has a pretty good build quality and has tons of features for the price (much lower base price for the 17" model than Dell or Alienware). It also has a full keyboard (keyboard and number pad). It has a touch sensitive bar above the keyboard with media and volume controls. I also got a 20" monitor with mine, all for less than $2000 before tax (my budget was $2000, but I went just like $30 over after tax). The dv9000 also has surround sound capable output and an optical audio port in one of the headphone jacks.

Comparing the DV9700t to the Alienware specs you listed above:

Display: 17" 1680x1050 is better on the dv9000t than the Alienware, bigger and higher resolution
System Lighting: The dv9700t has a lot of blue lights, but it's not a "feature" necessarily
Video/Graphics: The dv9700t only has a 8600M GS, but it's a good card, Alienware wins here
Processor: I went with T9300 (2.5GHz) which is > than those you list
Notebook Tuners: HP ExpressCard HD Tuner w/ Media Remote
Memory: I just got 3GB cause I can upgrade cheaper by doing it myself
System Drive: I got 250GB 5400RPM SATA, but the dv9700t has 2 bays, so you can add a second drive without taking out the included one, smaller 15" computers don't have a second bay
Optical Drive: Dual Layer DVD+/-/R/RW/CD-RW Lightscribe burner on the dv9700t
Wireless: Also an Intel Pro Wireless 4965 I think
Sound: I don't know, but it has optical output, so it must be surround sound
Keyboard: Full keyboard with number pad and lighted media control touch strip

Well not sure if im going to buy a laptop cz i think my dad is giving me his Sony VAIO FZ340E/B since he doesnt use it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom