Windows XP repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.
A repair install of XP only replaces teh Windows files. The reason i said you will need the RAID drivers on a floppy is so that the XP CD can recognize your drive saince you said it was in RAID. XP by default doe not rexognize RAID Arrays. That was a newer technology and was not originally included on the XP CD's. Hence why i said you would need the drivers on a floppy to do the F6 to install 3rd party drivers during the setup phase to get the drives recognized.

ohhhhhh..........this computer is Local disk (C: ), the backups r in (Z: ) on the same HDD, for sure i know this. The best solution is the backup what is in Z, correct?

The stuff on Z and some stuff you want to keep from C:\ like your pictures, documents and stuff like that.

The stuff on Z and some stuff you want to keep from C:\ like your pictures, documents and stuff like that.

y would i need to back up stuff on C when the HDD is in RAID n has a Z? Doesnt it make sense for me to backup only Z?

remember, Windows XP runs off C, not Z, but everytime Windows XP boots, it shows 2 Windows XP OS's n we always have to pick the first one.

The stuff on C:\ is your profile stuff. Along with your documents and pictures. That would be more affected by a repair, if something were to go wrong. Z is not associated with the Windows install while the stuff on the C: drive is.

The stuff on C:\ is your profile stuff. Along with your documents and pictures. That would be more affected by a repair, if something were to go wrong. Z is not associated with the Windows install while the stuff on the C: drive is.

o ok. If any does go wrong, then im gonna be in deep trouble for trying to repair a computer not of my own :(.

oh i forgot to mention we do have another HDD in this computer in F:\, which has 33.9GB for me to back up stuff onto. For safety reasons, i will disconnect the HDD AFTER i xfer what i can onto that HDD.

Yeah the stuff that is not apart of the Windows drive and install will be safe. As stated the repair only removes and messes with the Windows files. So the stuff on the other drives will be fine. If anything were to go wrong it would be on the Windows drive itself.

But of the thousands of repairs i have done only 1 has ever gone wrong and that was cause the install itself was so corrupted it could not have been saved at all.

I do not forsee any such issues with yours to happen like that.

Yeah the stuff that is not apart of the Windows drive and install will be safe. As stated the repair only removes and messes with the Windows files. So the stuff on the other drives will be fine. If anything were to go wrong it would be on the Windows drive itself.

But of the thousands of repairs i have done only 1 has ever gone wrong and that was cause the install itself was so corrupted it could not have been saved at all.

I do not forsee any such issues with yours to happen like that.

aright, im gonna back up right now, thx for u help n ill let u know later if everything went well.

You will need to make sure that the disc your dad has matches yoru OS. Home with Home and Pro with Pro. Can not use a Home disc with Pro or a Pro disc with Home.

A Repair jsut replaces the Windows files.

Sorry to question your windows knowledge mak but i have used home to repair pro an pro to repair home using the chkdsk /r through the recovery console. I have only done this with the 32bit version i don't know if it will work with the 64bit.

That is just a disk check that you did. That is not the actual repair.

CHKDSK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That just checks the integrity of the disk and fixes any errors that there might be. Now if you went thru the actual repair process...

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

You would not be able to do it with a Home disk on Pro and vice versa. ;)

I hope that helps clean that up for you Chris.

thx for the links. U could of just said like "just follow these steps (link) n have fun!" or something lol, would of made things a whole lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom