Pc keeps on switching itself off

Status
Not open for further replies.

paladax

Solid State Member
Hi there,

I just recently purchased some bits to build a new computer and I'm having a bit of a problem. It keeps on just powering off randomly though I have disconnected and reconnected every bit on the M/b without any luck. Even if I take it into the Bios or boot off of a cd after a few minutes it will just switch off. There doesn't seem to be any constant variable to causing it to switch off and even the amount of time it stays switched on seems a little random. I have gone into Bios H/W monitor and the CPU doesn't go above 82 degrees. I have tried disconnecting almost all the power connectors apart from the M/B, CPU and Graphics card connectors and still it switchs off so I know it's not a lack of power. The light on the M/B also stays constantly on throughout all of this.

The only thing I can think it might be is either the PSU or the M/B itself. Anyone got any ideas I can try?

Here is what I have:
500W EarthWatts PSU
ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB Socket 775 4MB
Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-1066
Point Of View 8800GT 512MB GDDR3 256bit

If you are using Windows you might have your power setting on the wrong selection.

It could also be your PSU as you said. It could be a faulty PSU but also take into account that 500W is pushing the minimum amount of power you need for that system especially on load.

Problem is that it doesn't even get to windows. Sometimes it lets me log in and takes me to the desktop but it never gets in enough for me to do anything before it switches off. I have also tried booting off of a Win XP cd but it switchs off there too. I don't think there is a lack of power because like I said I have tried disconnecting the Hard drives and everything else apart from graphics card and taken it into the Bios and it still turns itself off there. Which what I got I calcuate I only need about 350W so even with the HDD's connected I still got more than enough power.

Oh and sorry I meant 82 F the CPU is running at.

If you're running that hot, then I'd recommend checking to see if you mounted your heatsink right. I never go above 45 on load on my e6750, and I've OC'd mine and upped the voltage on this thing.

It may be turning off because it's reaching it's heat threshold, and shutting down to prevent damage. Try cleaning off the heastink/fan base and CPU with coffee filters/alcohol, apply new thermal grease, and remount the HS/F. Also, if you're running the stock HS/F, I'd recommend switching to an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7, as I have one, and my idle temps are 23-25, and around 44 on load. Cools it nicely.

Yeah you should go by Celcius from now on paladax.

This problem sounds like an instability problem. It would be ideal if you had another computer you could try each part in separately. Right now it could be the PSU, CPU, RAM or the motherboard. Obviously not a driver issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom