Q6600 and Asus P5E x38 - OC help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightSurge

Fully Optimized
I have a new system I have built. The specs are in the signature. Right now I am not sure how to adjust the voltages manually without messing things up. I had it up to either 3.2 or 3.4 once on manual FSB but auto everything else and it blue screened after about an hour of use. Since then I backed it down to 3.1 and it has been fine and dandy.

I know with this build and my Xigmatek 120mm hs/f that I can get higher than 3.1GHz. I tried entering manual voltages at one point but there are so many things on there that I could change. There were about 10 different things that I could manually set voltages for. I tried setting the fsb to 375, the vcore voltage to 1.33 and the ram voltage to 2.2v which it should be able to handle. I left everything else auto and at start up it BSOD'd right after it got to the loading screen for Vista. Any help on what I need to adjust and to what settings?

Anyone have any experience with this board and the Q6600?

EDIT: oh and my temps when running 70% cpu load are only hitting near 54 at max and usually about 45-50 average for that duration. At 50% cpu load the temps are 40-44C or less. Idle cpu temp is 30C average. (between 28-34C depending on which core)

surge, when i upped the voltage of my RAM on my 780i to 2.075 my computer wouldn't even run for more than 2 seconds and got a c1 error. i had to jump clear the CMOS and take out the battery to start back up again. My 780i did not like me overclocking my ram beyond 800, even though i have really good ram that most people get to 1000. i haven't attempted to OC since, i'm anxious to see what kind of settings you are successful with on your 780i.

Yes, I can't wait to see what the 780i does as well. The original board was the p5e, but now it's being changed so there will be SLi support

I have vista, which as I've heard, is difficult when it comes to using Core Temp. Also, when overclocking and manually adjusting voltages, can I just up the volts on the CPU and bump up the FSB? Or would I have to update the voltages on the RAM and others as well?

All the voltages must be adjusted at one point or another, it depends on how far you overclock as well. Obviously the higher the overclock the more important voltage adjustments will be.

if the RAM is being run under it's advertized speed than it's voltage should be less than what the manufacturer reccomends, if it is being run at exactly advertized speeds than it's voltage should be exactly what the manufacturer reccomends, if the RAM is being run at higher than advertized speeds than it's voltage should be higher than what the manufacturer reccomends. By how much you ask? Well there is no absolute answer, your just going to have to play around with it.

Same goes for the timmings, the timmings can be tighter if under advertized speeds, should be looser if above advertized speeds and if you attempt to run the RAM at exactly advertized speeds you loosen them to start off but you can tighten them once your confident in the stability of the settings. But once again it is not absolute, you will just have to play with them.

As for the other voltages, I would leave PCIE voltage and frequency alone, the FSB and northbridge voltages can be increased a bit to start, but every setup is different so in the end you will just have to play around with them.

You can get relative ideas by looking through the results in the Intel Overclocking Thread.

So would you say a safe starting point might be with vcore at 1.4v with an fsb of say 378 (378x9=3400). Then depending on what happens, I can either increase the fsb or decrease voltage and keep the fsb the same. Only bad thing is that the Intel Overclocking thread doesn't list northbridge voltages.

it should list northbridge voltages, I asked for that in my OP and I even gave you a picture of all my voltages, of course not everyone reads...

If you are having stability problems increase the FSB voltage by .2 Volts.

WOOOPS. Yes that is my bad. I was merely looking through the listed numbers. I've even read that through a few times before and noticed the voltages then, but this time I just must have been brain dead. I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom