computer is messed up, I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least you saw some improvement simply getting some dust out of there earlier. But now you have to see if it's actually the video card itself or another problem being realized like the wrong update or simply a bad install when trying to update the drivers.

The memory at least can be ruled out along with any temp problem since those were good from what SpeedFan was reporting. Trotter's suggestions earlier are things to look at as well as a possible problem with the slot the card is in.

The battery was also a good idea for a build a few years old due to what was seen here with all types of game and program crashes, lockups, and even sudden restarts on the old Socket A build mentioned before. Video card temps are still something separate from the cpu, board, and drive temps seen with SpeedFan. That was one reason why PC Wizard was a thought for that. CPUID

At least you saw some improvement simply getting some dust out of there earlier. But now you have to see if it's actually the video card itself or another problem being realized like the wrong update or simply a bad install when trying to update the drivers.

The memory at least can be ruled out along with any temp problem since those were good from what SpeedFan was reporting. Trotter's suggestions earlier are things to look at as well as a possible problem with the slot the card is in.

The battery was also a good idea for a build a few years old due to what was seen here with all types of game and program crashes, lockups, and even sudden restarts on the old Socket A build mentioned before. Video card temps are still something separate from the cpu, board, and drive temps seen with SpeedFan. That was one reason why PC Wizard was a thought for that. CPUID

using rivatuner I had a steady 48-51 reading on my vid card.

That isn't ideal but still not too bad for an older AGP model. The PCI-E model here an MSI HD 2600XT averages about 35-36C after being on all day and night.

I found that the other program not only has some benchmarking capability but is a little more accurate on other temps as well when compared to SpeedFan. Some will go the length of seeing a sensor mounted on a card itself over relying on any program.

The 430w supply you have in now wouldn't be pulled down with the model you have there unless you were cranking things up like ocing the card itself. But then you would likely see higher temps with the card when going to game.

Another things besides a video card or the drivers used for it that can cause games to lock up solid on you is something often overlooked mainly the sound drivers you have on. Many complain about problems with Realtek when using onboard and not having a separate card in. Hear any sound caught in a loop when a game freezes on you?

That isn't ideal but still not too bad for an older AGP model. The PCI-E model here an MSI HD 2600XT averages about 35-36C after being on all day and night.

I found that the other program not only has some benchmarking capability but is a little more accurate on other temps as well when compared to SpeedFan. Some will go the length of seeing a sensor mounted on a card itself over relying on any program.

The 430w supply you have in now wouldn't be pulled down with the model you have there unless you were cranking things up like ocing the card itself. But then you would likely see higher temps with the card when going to game.

Another things besides a video card or the drivers used for it that can cause games to lock up solid on you is something often overlooked mainly the sound drivers you have on. Many complain about problems with Realtek when using onboard and not having a separate card in. Hear any sound caught in a loop when a game freezes on you?

I haven't checked that, I'll see right now.

EDIT: Nah, not any looping. It appears it's safe to assume my gfx card or mobo is dead, I'm leaning towards gfx card more though.

That's more likely by the description anyways. But this was another thing to try and rule out since sounds that get stuck right when you see a crash points more at sound drivers. For visual problems like the mouse cursor not moving and lines across the screen you know the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom