Pentium or Athlon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
plasmaorb said:
go with AMD... never hear about AMD having to recall thousands of chips cause they rushed them out or whatever.

AMD always beats out Intel in the benchtests.

I Agree! Intel is always in a rush to get a chip out that they dont go over the limit and make the Chip amazing! They just make it to its potential which means it ain't good for overclocking! The reason AMD is slower in Ghz then Intel is because they take their time on their chips and make them beyond what they really are! I've disgust this with a AMD employee and thats what I got from him and from myself! AMD IS THE WAY TO GO!

I second that

AMD also places a higher value on their MHz than Intel does.
Athalons get more work done in a clock cycle. I have an Athalon XP 1800 (1.53 GHz) that benchmarks higher than a Pentium IV 2 GHz, both with factory settings.

While we are on the subject....

How do you guys think these compare:

1) AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 512 MB's of Mushkin PC2700 RAM, MCI mobo with the Nforce2 chipset

2) 2.4 GHz Intel P4 with 512MB's of PC1066 RDRAM on a mobo with the 850E chipset?

I am considering the AMD setup after it was highly recommended by a moderator on another forum. He said it would smoke the P4.

Comments?

Thanks

Mike

AMD would obviously win the framerate race.

But you do also have to consider, that the Intel platform, also has a DualDDR-supporting chipset (like the nForce2 on the AMD platform), but that wouldn't boost performance all that much afaik. :\

Dice said:
for me Pentium for multimedia and Athlon for is for gaming

PC Gamer magazine's "Dream System" each month always has a P4 processor, but of course they could be sponsored by Intel, who knows.

Mike

I've got a feeling that I'm gonna get hammered by this, but here goes.

I personally believe that the best processers to date are the amiga chips. I once saw (that's 'witnessed' for all the techies out there <grin>) an amiga running at only 14 Mhz (and that's megahertz not gigahertz) run 2 Video and 3 audio clips at the same time with no skipping at all.

Right now I use an AMD 1700+ and I am very happy with it and will most likely upgrade to another AMD chip later. But for raw power and speed, and you can still find a large population using the amiga in Europe I think, the amiga wins hands down hertz for hertz.

And a little bit of trivia for those who may not know, all the CG effects for the first season of Babylon 5 and part of the second season was done on a 14 Mhz amiga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom