8800GT vs 9600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
So I thought I was happy with my 8600GT OC, and I am, but... I was messing with Gmod and had too much going on at one and eventually noticed terrible lag, so I thought well, how far can I push this thing and tried an all out war with roughly 100 NPC's on screen at once with weapons in hand, and just as I expected, my screen went blank and the game crashed.

Now I have been looking at the 8800GT and the 9600GT considering their price ranges, and upon further searching I have seen conflicting reviews, basically what it comes down to is this, I want to spend 170 max including shipping, but does the 8800GT > 9600GT or is it vice versa?

And I can only assume that my current processor may be a bottleneck for this card, E2140, right?

I think my mobo is holding back my OC, currently, no matter what I do, I can't get it above a 7% OC, so my sig lies about 1.96. It's not the temps, that's for sure, and the abilities are unlocked in the bios, so I am able to increase the necesary voltage, FSB etc... But evertime I go above 7%, it crashes and the bios screen tells me that watchdog needs me to manually dial back my OC setting before it will let me boot again, that is, if it doesn't crash completely.

I have no idea what's causing this, I can only assume my Biostar mobo just doesn't like it. I shoulda gotten a Gigabyte darnit.

About the video card, I was looking at the Gigabyte card that has the non-reference board design, it's smaller and should fit better, not only that, it's stock overclocked 100mhz and it's cheap, here's the linky link:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-NX88T256HV1 GeForce 8800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics

I may stretch my budget for a new vid card and mobo. But what do you mean the 256 is crippled compared to the 512, GDDR3 is GDDR3 right? And C'mon a 100mhz overclock out of the box? I'm pretty sure that'll make up for it.

Here's the mobo I'm looking at right now, it won't be pretty with my budget, 70 for the mobo and I'm keeping the video card at 170 though.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-S2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
I have never had a Gigabyte board (no matter how cheap) deter my overclocking.

The memory clock is 400MHz slower, and with half the memory on a 256-bit interface. But this would be alright on resolutions lower than 1680 x 1050. I just think that the 9600GT at the same price, provides more performance.

Yes, the 8800GT will always be better than the 9600GT, but the 9600GT is more cost effective. And I still got full AA and antisrophic filtering with perfect clarity at 1440x900 using my 9600GT. Had 75FPS on Call of Duty 4.

EDIT: Well on all but Crysis of course. And I was still able to play that on all high settings and with no AA enabled at 1440x900 res. Got 31FPS average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom