OC'ing the 9850 phenom BE

Status
Not open for further replies.
nvm just found it... anyone recommend any great OC'ing mobo's with good features for the 9850 phenom and a 9800 GX2 in quad sli later down the road?
Just out of curiosity, how much later do you think you would be getting a second 9800 GX2?

If you're not planning on getting another one for a while, the nforce 790a may be out then.
Or you might see a better GPU combination by then.
i cant wait for the 4870 x2! Would u buy mine for $300 once we all here an official release date fro teh 4870 x2?
I've already got two 3870's

I'm actually looking at the 4870's myself, too.
Apparently, they'll consume less than 10W on idle, and around 150W max load.

yea ive tried that combo... but let me do it again and I will post back the results

Just as I thought... the second I loaded into windows BSOD... I can sit at 2984.00mhz all day but the second I cross into 3000.00mhz i crash... ive tried 200X15 and 207X14.5 with the same results... all different kinds of mem timings from loose to tightened up. Voltages I've raised way to high for what Im doing and I know that but temps have stayed pretty freakin low(between 25-34C) any more suggestions? I may just have the chip that wont do over 3.0ghz

if this is all the case, i would guess maybe your mobo is limiting you, not the chip. especially if temps are manageable and the ram is loose. i have a windsor 4200 that just won't go past 2.9...so i know that feeling. it just wont do it.
just a theory, though...you may have better results with an am2+ mobo.

yea I was looking at some am2+ mobos which isnt a problem changing too just that wont support nvidia... and I just bought that $$$ GPU lol may get one still with a couple radeon 3870's or wait till they make a board that supports 790fx and nvidia...

yea I was looking at some am2+ mobos which isnt a problem changing too just that wont support nvidia... and I just bought that $$$ GPU lol may get one still with a couple radeon 3870's or wait till they make a board that supports 790fx and nvidia...
AMD/ATI chipsets won't support SLI.

If you do want SLI with a Phenom, there are regular AM2 boards with Nforce 500 series chipsets (most support Phenom processors with a BIOS flash), or there are the upcoming Nforce 790a chipsets (which will support the full AM2+ features)

Yes, currently I have the asus crosshair with which I flashed the bios to support my 9850. Works just fine but where can I find some more info on this 790a chipset up and coming?

if this is all the case, i would guess maybe your mobo is limiting you, not the chip. especially if temps are manageable and the ram is loose. i have a windsor 4200 that just won't go past 2.9...so i know that feeling. it just wont do it.
just a theory, though...you may have better results with an am2+ mobo.

loose the RAM? Isnt the RAM suppose to be higher when OCing the CPU? My RAM is 866 i think from 800 because i increased the multipler higher then the FSB, i think 14.5 n FSB to 213, voltage to 1.39.

yes, you are correct. ram speed will increase in proportion to the clock speed, cpu multiplier, and what speed you have the ram set to run in bios. but to get the highest cpu clock and to check the stability of the cpu overclock it is best to underclock the ram and loosen the timings, so if the stability fails, ram will be eliminated from the equation.

yea everytime I try to hit 3.0 ghz, i run my ram at ddr 400-800( tried all of them) timings at 4-4-4-12,5-5-5-15,6-6-6-18,-even 7-6-6-24. Voltages for ram at 2.250 for the tracers, vid at 1.393, and the second i cross 3.0 crash. I think I may just need a new mobo. This 590sli isnt cutting it for this cpu. great mobo overall though.

roger that.
i love mine, except for the fact that it says EVGA across the front lol.
it's pretty impressive that you can even get to 3ghz with a mobo that technically isn't even made for that cpu.
good job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom