No Hard Drive Detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwind

Fully Optimized
OK...my sons pc won't boot to windows...he has an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Mobo

it says reboot and select proper boot device....I do not think the hard drive is being detected...if the hard drive is bad, will it not detect it?

I have tried different boot priorities, but that does not help.

Anyhelp would be appreciated....thanks.

Is there SATA drives in the system and you are trying to boot XP? If so you will need to either

a.) put the SATA drivers on a floppy to use the 3rd party driver installer during Windows setup or

b.) slipstream the drivers into a XP CD

Is there SATA drives in the system and you are trying to boot XP? If so you will need to either

a.) put the SATA drivers on a floppy to use the 3rd party driver installer during Windows setup or

b.) slipstream the drivers into a XP CD

Well, this is not a fresh install we are trying to do....pc has been fine for about 2 years....now it won't post and is getting this message...

I will try and reset the CMOS

Clearing the cmos did not work

The harddrive is not detected in the bios....does this sound like a bad harddrive??

It has worked fine up until now....about 2 years.....has been booting up alittle slower however.

If it is a bad hard drive, will it NOT show up in the bios?

Thanks for anserwing my dumb questions....lol

Check if the drive is receiving power by either putting your ear to it and listening for that quiet whiny sound all drives make or by switching the SATA or Molex power connector for another one and turning the computer on again.

The drive should be recognized by the BIOS if it's only a disk error. It could be the drives controller (the green board underneath the drive) and not the disk however and that could cause it not to be seen by BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom