Memory configuration, 1x2GB vs 1x1 or 2x2 vs 4GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kolobok

Solid State Member
Hello,
I just purchased E8500 here: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Processor EU80570PJ0876M - 3.16GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, OEM, Socket 775, Processor at TigerDirect.com

and looking for the rest of the system. I am still using P4 on 478 mobo.

The question is, what would be the best configuration for the memory PERFORMANCE vice?

single stick 2GB
dual channel pair 1 + 1 GB

single 4GB
dual 2+2 GB ?

Dual channel always better then single stick, I guess.

Lets not account for winXP 32 bit recognises only 3 GB, I do not care at the moment about that.

I heard somewhere that 1x1 performs better (faster) than 2x2 due to total number of chips on the stick. I can't remember where I pick it up, I think in CPU magasine.
What is better 1x1 or 2x2 PERFORMANCE vice?

Any comment on this subject will be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Well,
I am looking for future 64 OS.

Since I Really Really do NOT like Vista, (I could not even express how much I do not like it! I guess I do not fit "housewife" profile of Little-Spongy company) winXP 64 bit is what I'll probably use in near future.

Regarding to 2GB is enough, I do not agree here as well.
I am playing SilkRoad online, somtimes more then one instance and this thing counsumes all my 2GB of ram. In fact I could have only few MB of Physical memory available. This mean huge, laggy swap file, HD I/O...

Even more, demand for memory growing all the time.
I guess, developers think since it is so cheap, why not waist it left and right.

So 1x1 is better then 2x2 ? Any though why?

or too much proccess running, or mabye some type of adware hogging up the memory?
2x2 is better that 1x1 simply because it has more memory and its dual channel for double the bandwith
the other guy was talking about 2x1gbs, in theory they should be better than 2x2 because the smaller ram sizes can clock faster. You could always go 4x1GB but that leaves no room for upgrade.

I've played silk road and if thats taking up 1GB, maybe even if its taking up 512mb then you have some sort of problem. If its still taking up that much with the new ram I'd be surprised. Still with 2 x 2GB you should have no problems at all.

omg... those Cas Latency and timings hurt... but still a lot better than a majority of other 4gb Kits though

but for $70 you really have no reason to complain though lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom