Removing Plastic Pieces from a Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grievearz

M.C. Etcher
For my upcoming mod, I want to make sure all the colors are perfect. I'm going for a black and green theme. My question is if anyone has experience removing the plastic (PVC) on a motherboard, items such as the ram slots, the plastic around the motherboard and the power plugs. I'll be coloring these items with vinyl dye.

Does anyone have any experience taking these pieces off or working with vinyl dye in general?

Why not? >_>

I guess it would be possible to dye them without taking them off but it would be really hard to make sure no dye got on the board itself or on any metal connections.

I've never actually taken a look at a MB to see how they are connected and I didn't feel like tearing out my MB to get a better look. I wonder if anyone has even tried anything like this before...

i think u have to un solder the peices, colour them then resolder them ive seen it done before, ive even seen people take them off put them on a small pcb and mount pci-e cards somewhere else in the case, the just atach it to the original mobos solderign points with wire. ansd yes its been doen how do you think this case was made?
dcwu8k.jpg

i think u have to un solder the peices, colour them then resolder them ive seen it done before, ive even seen people take them off put them on a small pcb and mount pci-e cards somewhere else in the case, the just atach it to the original mobos solderign points with wire. ansd yes its been doen how do you think this case was made?
dcwu8k.jpg

How do you know the person de-soldered the ports? I've never seen someone de-solder their ports just to paint it. I say this is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Yeah if I have to de-solder something, forget that. I'll just make some sacrifices on the components I wanted to make sure I get the right colors out of the box. I'll have to take a look at an old motherboard or something to see if it would be possible.

This is the one I was thinking of getting, but the I'm not a fan of the orange...:

Newegg.com - ECS A780GM-A AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I can't really explain too much of why the color is important without giving away too much about my mod, it's going to be one heck of a project.

I dunno about this man, but thats the nicest looking ecs board ive ever seen. It actually looks like a decent board.

I know you can get colored covers for the ports you dont use, but i dunno about taking them off.

dcwu8k.jpg

They sell port extenders. Let me dig up the link.

PDXLAN Community Forum :: View topic - Cool modding accessory

Heres the original thread on this...

I'm going to use some vinyl dye on an old piece of ram I have lying around and see if it ruins it. If it doesn't, I might be able to just dye the whole motherboard, could turn out cool looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom