Windows XP problem - need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaero

Baseband Member
I randomly lose the ability to right click on the desktop and access my computer and my documents. If Im in an application, like firefox the File button Edit History etc are all disabled. It starts by making the windows error noise repeatedly then stops. I have to reboot the computer to fix it. I have tried system restore, reinstalling xp running the latest virus/spyware/adware/malware programs. They found nothing. All of my system temps are normal. Any ideas?

The mouse may need simple cleaning or replacement. A full reinstall of XP would see the mouse.sys and software/drivers(if required for programmable) replaced fresh. Inspect the plug and socket to see if the plug is loose or the socket is now damaged. If this is with a usb model try a different port.

Google for MemTest86 and run it from LiveCD for at least 4 hours. Your PC i slocking up for some reason and we have to figure out why.

Eye...in his OP he already stated he reinstalled XP and it still happened.

As I mentioned before you can generally rule out a need to see a fresh install of the software and drivers for the mouse if it's a programmable model since you already reinstalled Windows. I think someone missed my meaning there.

This is why I referred to replacing the mouse if it turns out to be a factory defect or the socket or usb port depending type is found bad. Besides memory seeing faults your mention of seeing frame rates drop and the inability to right click on the desktop can often be a display driver issue.

With a fresh install of everything along with Windows another thought is possible fault with the video card being seen causing display problems. The mouse cursor will lock as well as not being able to right click on things.

I bought regcure and ran a few scans. It detected about 800 problems lol. The frame rates went back to normal after it repaired them. So far I havent had any lock ups. Ill keep my status posted.

Probably could have used CCleaner. It has a Registry scanner as well and it is free.

Eusing puts the small limited cleaner found in CCleaner to shame! Even another older freeware called RegCleaner has a better registry cleanup option in the tools menu that walks right past the one there.

RegCure and some of the other retail programs are often a waste of time and money. The better freewares or manually knowing just what are leftover values can be cleaned by a manual edit or even better a freeware like RegSeeker where you simply name the reg key and say goodbye to it. That will remove specified drivers in the system32 folder as well.

CCleaner is certainly one to have onhand if you have had Windows running for any lengthy period with a good number of software changes having been made. For cleaning up crap folders with install and uninstall logs it will work great there to free up some drive space!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom