No sound and RAM problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadistic Tribble

Beta member
hey every1, first post here. I just built my first computer so obviously I'm a kind of n00b at it.

Anyway, the most pressing problem: I have no sound at all except the annoying little motherboard beep. The 'sound and audio devices' properties cannot find the device at all. I have a

Gigabyte motherboard with whatever BIOS version comes with it- I haven't updated it but can't find which it is.

also a (very old) PnP MAG Innovision LCD display with built-in speakers. The monitor functions normally but apparently the PC can't find the speakers. I've also tried it with a pair of my mom's even older PnP speakers and they don't work either. Do I need new speakers for them to be compatible or is there a software solution?

Also, not as important as the sound but still worrying: I have 2 sticks of 2GB RAM but the mobo only recognizes 3GB. I also cannot find any settings for RAM in the BOIS.

Any help would be appreciated.

you more than likely need to install the Audio drivers for the mobo, just go to the makers website and find the latest audio drivers and d/l them, hopefully that will work

as for your ram, Im assuming you are using 32bit xp or 32bit vista

32-bit OS's can only read about 3-3.5 gigs, if you want it to read all 4G of ram you need a 64-bit OS

Unfortunately, I seem to have developed another problem. I have a flashdrive, the tiny (and flimsy) Crucial Gizmo Jr. 4GB, which I've been using for quite a while now. It suddenly stopped working. It worked in a class of mine this morning- and now it won't work in either computer of mine so the problem is definitely with the drive.

I'm going to explore all options for recovery etc. (and I'd be grateful for any help on that subject) but if I need a new one, What brand is best in terms of reliability? I've had three flash drives now and they've all stopped working- including a Cruzer Titanium that died after I had fiddled with the USB extender too much.

As far as usb pen drives go, i think they all die sooner or later. Its just best to only use them for temp storage. I still have little 256mb drive kicking around, but i know we go through them on a fairly regular basis here at work.

Problems, problems....

I downloaded Gigabyte's audio driver. After 45 minutes of waiting I found out I needed at least SP1 for XP.

After another hour I found out neither SP2 or SP1 will install because I have an 'invalid cd key'.

I downloaded a different older version of the driver and extracted it to a folder in the C:. There was a exe called something to the effect of 'setup'. I double-clicked it and nothing apparent happened, and the sound still doesn't work.

ANY HELP HERE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom