8800 gs worth it with a P4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItHurtz

Baseband Member
I have a Pentium 4 530 3ghz and i am wondering will an 8800gs make any impact over my 7600gt? Right now i get like low 60's to 100 fps on 1024x768 low settings. What i am looking to do is play COD4 on high settings at 1024x768 reso with no less than 50 fps, can the P4 not bottleneck and let the card do its job?

It will bottleneck, but more of that effect will occur on higher resolutions, at low resolutions you'll still experience it, but not as big difference

I know its going to bottleneck, but will it let me game at 1024x768 reso on high settings with no lower than like 50 fps? The 8800gs is suppose to be about 3 times better than a 7600gt, if i cant get the fps im looking for its pointless to upgrade.

I know it is, but you can't expect 3x the frame rates per second, only thing you'll see 3x is a 3dmark score, but you'll see an improvement

Ya it's worth it... i would say... but if you can, find a 9600 gt since they are around the same price sometimes (palit)... why not get better for the same price you know?

Ya, you already know you will get a bottleneck ...

but you can't expect 3x the frame rates per second
Im not the one saying that, you are. The card overall is 3 times better, i have even read that from other people.

*edit*
Ya it's worth it... i would say... but if you can, find a 9600 gt since they are around the same price sometimes (palit)... why not get better for the same price you know?

Ya, you already know you will get a bottleneck ...

I just read about a guy with almost the same p4 processor and he upgraded from a 7800gt and he saw quite a bit of improvement. So i might go ahead and get the 8800gs. The palit wouldnt really fit, and the other 9600gt would be about $30 more and i dont see the need for it right now.

Go for it dude and don't look bad... you should be satisfied.

But you might want to consider saving up for a new rig eventually... the 8800gs can be carted over to the new rig so you wouldn't need to worry about that.

Yeah I'm sure you'll get a decent boost and you already know not to expect a massive improvement. It's a pretty nice card so I'm sure it'll be worth it then. There will be a bottle neck but you should still be able to meet your goal of running COD 4 on those settings. Then when you can scrape enough together for a bigger upgrade you'll really get to experience it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom