Windows/nVidia Really Put Me in a Bind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
Well I don't know what to do guys. Here's the lowdown. I was having my computer fail the odd time when running something in full screen so I decided to check it out. Looked at the error log and dump info and told me that one of my hard drive controllers was failing, the one with XP on it. So I went into nvidia.com to get the new nForce 6 drivers seeing if that would help.

This is the problem: the uninstall of the drivers went peachy. It told me it would uninstall them and then install the new ones as soon as I restart. So I restart and nothing happens. Windows loads up to a black screen. So I try safe mode. It loads perfect showing the login screen but my keyboard and mouse don't work at all! I'm thinking the uninstall took all I/O components off somehow. I've tried USB and PS/2 both which do squat. So what do you think I should try now?

It's not hardware related because I'm on my comp right now but in SuSE. Vista just keeps blue screening after updates so I'm only left with the best of them. Only problem is that none of my games are on here!

Yep just does the same black screen thing. I think it literally wiped the entire existence of my I/O controllers.

Maybe try a repair install before you go any further?

Yeah don't have my original CD so I just grabbed an ISO from my college now and I'm going to try it. Thanks Mak

Well I think it is now fixed. The weird thing was that it was like the installer was stuck. In the middle of the repair while installing devices, the nForce window popped up and asked me if I wanted to pause Windows setup and install the controllers. I said yes and nothing ever happened. So I restarted the whole process and then said no. The install went fine and I installed the controllers in Windows.

It all seems fine now. The only thing I have to hope for is that I don't keep getting the random crashes. That fix was my intent all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom