Anything else to try before I decide its the mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Well, my main rig (specs in sig) isn't power on this morning. Last night we were haveing power troubles at my house. Computer shut off a couple times while I was using it, and the the power came right back on, and so did my computer, and worked fine. After the second time, I decided to shut my computer down, so I went ahead and shut it down. The power continued to go on/off throughout the night.

So then this morning I decide to turn my rig back on. Everything powers up, the fans, the lights, the optical drives, and I hear the HDD's initialize. But, instead of the normal single POST beep, I get 2 long beeps, and then the PC shuts itself down. It powers itself back on, and then gives me 2 long beeps again, and then just sits there with all of the fans running/no display on the screen. Looked it up in my motherboard manual, and it said that it could be a graphics card error. Swapped out the GPU with my GTS 320, and it still does it. Swapped out the PSU with a different one, still does it. I tried to clear CMOS by removing the battery just in case that could have been a problem, but that didn't fix it either. I'm thinking that it could be the motherboard now... Anybody else got any ideas that I could try before I decide to contact Gigabyte and get a new board?

Bad PCI-E slot not card suspected there. The main problem is finding the actual code chart for Gigabyte's models since Award is commonly used and sees all kinds of variations from one manufacturer to another. :rolleyes:

For further help on Award BIOS problems contact:

Unicore Software (1-800-800-BIOS) handles all upgrades for Award Software BIOS products.
Their e-mail address is sales@unicore.com.

The code chart was in the back of my mobo manual...

1 short: Succesful boot
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: memory or mobo error
1 long, 2 short: monitor, graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: keyboard eror
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long: graphics card not seated correctly
Continuous short: power error

It just gives me 2 long, and then shuts off/restarts does the same thing. So I figured the closest one to that was the "continous long" one.

Not seated fully or possibly a bad slot would account for it. Have you tried the first card on a different case to see if it works ok there? That would rule out a bad card and point at a board problem since a second working card ran into problems as well.

Stated in an earlier post that I tried my other GTS 320 which I know works, in this PC and it did the same thing.

Already requested an RMA, and it was approved already. So now I just gotta send my board in. Good thing I have a laptop and spare computer, heh.

The idea of testing the card on another system would be simply to see if the card was still good. With a second card seeing the same problem you know as well as I do that the board would become the focus from there on.

Gee? I guess laptops do come in handy at times afterall?! :confused: :p

I've pondered but never got around to actually buying one. I usually end glued to one desktop if not bailing someone else out on their's! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom