upgrade questions? rampage formula? Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your memory because im pretty sure the memory you have now wont be compatible with the motherboard your going to get.

its DDR2 compatible which is what i have, not DDR3 which is what im sure you were thinking... thanks for the concern tho :)

good choices

thank you much, i rather think so too :D

its g0 revision... not stepping

are you suuuuure? i thought it was like... the G92 (like on video card chips) was a revision, and that G0 was a stepping? mebbe one of us is mixed up... i dunno :*

Essentially the q6600 and q6700 are the exact same chips. One was able to clock with a 10x multi when they were binning them and got stamped 6700. You will mostly end up with the exact same overclocks with either chip.

well, the Q6700 is going to drop from the current $527 MSRP to $270... and the Q6600 will drop from $270 to $229... so pretty much, by waiting like two weeks... i can get a higher stock clock speed and multiplier... for the exact same price as the Q6600 was... so while the difference is small... its still there... and by waiting, mebbe i can squeeze just a liiitle bit more outta a Q6700 and get a better build for the same price... :)

Asus = old and busted. Evga = the new hotness.

now i certainly dont know about that...

my understanding is that both the EVGA 680/750/780i or w/e family and pretty much most other X38/X48 motherboards, like ASUS's... both overclock exceptionally well... just that the EVGA/XFX boards' chipset is better for if youre going to be running SLI (which im prolly not: a GX2 later, instead) and Asus's X38s are better if youre going to run a single card and OC...

i still think ill go with my Asus board tho...

and also gentlemen, not to be rude but, if youre going to talk/argue about motherboards, may i suggest you start a new thread in the computer hardware sub-forum? id like to keep this thread about helping out with my upgrade... thanks :) - RK

I just dont care for asus customer service. I have read entirely too many horror stories of people trying to RMA stuff to them. And i know how well EVGA treats their customers.

No I'm right

(calling out Ste)

If you take any Q6600 G0, and look on it's CPU-Z, look where it says G0, its under revision, not stepping

cpuz1mx3.jpg

okay, so i was thinking about the terrible mess that my case is now, and what i can do to improve this in my new one, and also, i had a little extra money, SO... im thinking about adding one of these to my new build:

Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000-Watt Power Supply (with Corsair TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 Memory DEAL)

it comes with 4GB of free RAM, too... which i can either use (tho im pretty sure my G.Skill HZ's are much better), or sell to make up some of the money i spent...

and also, with more power available, i was thinking about getting myself a new 9800GTX possibly soon... since theyre only $300...
only thing is... they have an X3 model available in 600W... kind of like the one i have now, but modular, which is KEY... i really, really want a modular PSU to cut down on case clutter... but do you think that 600W would be enough to run my quad-core and a 9800GTX? im not so sure, hence the 1000W... any opinions?
should i get the 9800GTX?
or should i save the $300 and use it towards liquid-cooling my CPU sooner?
and should i go for a 1000W or the 600W X3?

show me a link to the 600 x3 PSU

because amperage on the 12v Rails matter way more than watts do, because some of the lower end companies like use High Wattage that has high 3.3/5 V rail amperage as opposed to 12v rails

36 amps... not bad... and on one single rail... its good

but I think the PC Power and Cooling 610 is cheaper on the egg'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom