64 bit xp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

calsonic

Baseband Member
i am running my PC with XP 64 bit edition

when i install a 32 bit program, windows automatically wants to put it in X:\program files (x86). however i was wondering, if you were to install a 64 bit app into X:\program files (x86), would it still run at 64 bits?

thanx

Yea, the program is programmed in 64-bit so it should run in 64-bit. The folder is just where you put it.

The Program Files directory is essentially the same for all versions/editions of Windows simply to see software folders stored there for the various programs installed. Any 64bit program requires what the 64bit edition of XP was written for using the 64bit kernel. The 64bit editions of Windows simply provide a degree of 32bit compatibilty in order to run 32bit programs as well like 98 could run some older 95 16bit games and apps being a 32bit desktop version there.

The main problem seen with XP Pro 64 and even with the 64bit editions of Vista is the basic lack of 64bit softwares since the software companies still need to play catch up. The trend is towards 64bit over the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom