CPU's question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have my q6600 oc'ed to 3.2 ghz at all times alot of people here have theirs higher. id say get the q6600 but wait a few days its supposed to drop in price on april 20th. but if you buy it right now you can get them off fry's for 190:

FRYS.com | Intel

I would go with the Q6600 since you are planning to keep your system for awhile.

Can you elaborate on what OC'ing would matter as far as the choosing a CPU is concerned?

If you plan on overclocking cpu choice matters because some cpu's overclock better than others. The Q6600 is an excellent overclocker.

Oki guys.. I'll go with the q6600. Thank you all! My CPU problem has been solved :happy:

@stalin indeed friend, that's why I'm all agited about building this rig now, I gave myself 10-15 days to decide on the hardware before buying.

EDIT: Just when I thought it was over.... well ... I realised that my room is not that cool all the time and down here in Florida is always godamn hot so I'm gonna have to seriously reconsider this overcloaking thing.

Let say if I decide to leave my hardware as it is what would be a cheaper or equivalent CPU for the q6600 when not OC'ing?

In other words, even without OC'ing do you guys still think q6600 is the best option budget/performance wise?

Even without overclocking the Q6600 is still your best option. You might want to get better cooling if your room is warm. This cooler is supposed to be one of the better air coolers but it is fairly large so make sure your case has enough room.

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
+ thermal paste
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

If you need somthing a little smaller the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro is also an excelent cooler and comes with pre aplied MX-2 thermal paste.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Thank you Puddle Jumper, gonna stick with the q6600 and yep definitly going with an artic F7 for the cooling sys.

Hey guys, as stalin pointed it out FRYS is selling the q6600 for $190.

Should I go ahead and order that right now, or still wait the promised price drop for april 20th?

Considering also that newegg doesn't even have the q6600 in stock at this moment...

I would get it now. That is an excellent deal and you never know when it will go out of stock or the sale will end. Plus the Q600 is only supposed to drop to $224 on 4/20.

Just wanted to say that I also recently ordered parts for an new build. Like you, I was preparing for AoC. I chose the Q6600 too. Considering that the E6600 is recommended, I suspect we will be in good shape on that game. Once I get everything together, I plan on attempting to OC the Q6600 to around 3.0 GHz. See you in Hyboria:)

the Q6600 can hit 3.0 easily even on some of the worse chips. So no worries there ^_^. I got the AoC collecters box on preorder XD man its gonna rock. wonder how many TFers will be playing ^^

ya 3.0 is really easy to get on a q6600. by the way what are you other systems specs you are getting?

I would get it now. That is an excellent deal and you never know when it will go out of stock or the sale will end. Plus the Q600 is only supposed to drop to $224 on 4/20.

Tried to order it, and it doesn't work anymore. :(

What's weird is that the link provided on the sell/buy forum works, but a search on the FRYS site doesn't display that item.

No idea what's going on with that item and FRY, all I know is that is not possible to add it to your cart, oh well.. gonna wait 4/20 and see what happens with prices.

*edit*
ya 3.0 is really easy to get on a q6600. by the way what are you other systems specs you are getting?

Well.. basically this is the begining for me.. and 1st step was the CPU, which basically is resolved, I'll be getting a q6600.

Now next step I'm working on is the Motherboard and GPU...

I still don't know if I should go with

CHOICE 1:

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Dynamic Energy Saver Ultra Durable II Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
For $ 133
And
XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92)
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics
For $ 330

Total: $463

OR go SLI

CHOICE 2:

ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38
Newegg.com - ABIT IX38 Quad GT LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
For $220

And stick into it TWO of these:
EVGA 512-P3-N862-AR GeForce 9600GT Superclocked 512MB
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics
For $360

Total: $580

I'm not fully aware of what the real difference will be, going SLI with 2 gfx cards or just playing with just one top of the line gfx card.
There's so much choice and possible combinations that my head is spinning.

Between my current two choices there's a substancial $117 difference and that's a bunch of cash that could help on many other components of my future rig but I'm sure as I'll keep researching mobos and gfx cards I'll find even more combinations to confuse me even more lol

What do you think? Choice 1 or Choice 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom