Need a new graphics card for Doom 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh i c well i think its free to ship fed ex exspress free shiping oh yeah and i got the 9800 regular i run that game on ultra with no lagg after fresh xp pro install it only cost me 150$ on new egg 8 piplines and all batch

you guys seem to base all of your card knowledge on one card you have found,you should know that all card made by different makers even though they have the same specs,when you get it home and find out what it runs at you will see they are different,they are all maker dependent,my 5900se runs stock at 400-700,so i don`t know that that is bad but it aces everygame i want to play on full settings lol that might not be very fast to you guys but remember the cpu has a great deal to do with your gaming experience.

wouldnt you want the most out of your video card? buying an SE card is like only having the name of the card but not the effectiveness

Well I finally gave in a bought the 9800 Pro. Everything now runs sweet as..

However I have heard that you can mod the 9800 pro to a 9800 XT. Granted I am going to need better cooling, but does anyone have any experience with this? How did it turn out? Can anyone recommned the best way to go about this?

I have never done any specific overclocking projects before but I have electronics qualifications and am not scared by the idea of cold soldering and a bit of thermal grease.
It's just it's been about 10 years since I did any serious electronics...

i think you ar e thinking about the 9800 SE. i was about to suggest it but i see you have already bought it. The thing is, the 9800SE is the same as the 9800 Pro, except it has 4 pipes disabled. not removed, just disabled. you can downlaod the omegadrivers and softmod an se to a pro easy as :)

except probably only about 75% of SE cards can do this, so its a bit of a gamble...

tou can "softmod" a 9800Pro to a XT. If your 9800pro is a sapphire, it is easy....first of all, look at your PN number on the board of your card. It should read: XXX-XX7500-XX-XX or XXX-XX8800-XX-XX. The your numbers will be different (hence the X's), but it should read in the 7500's (mine is 7533), you can not softmod it :(. If it is in the 8800's, you can. If this number is on there, thing you can download the bios for the 9800xt and flash your card to that bios...(search the forums for a good explaination). If you are unsure of the number, you can look under your heatsink....a 350 means no softmod, a 360 means go for it. It is hit and miss as to weather you have it, but most newer cards have it, just depends on how long your card was sitting in stock before you bought it. Good Luck!!

Crap, my number is also 7533. What about overclocking?

And if I can overclock it what cooling do Ineed to invest in?

If ya wanna OC, you need to get an Artic Cooling VGA silencer. It is $17 free ship at newegg. You can OC the pro to at least XT speeds...it is very OCable.

dude, you can not softmod a 9800pro to an xt unless it is built with the new xt parts (board and chip). They will have a 8800 number in the PN and a 360 under the heatsink. Other than that, you must OC it to get it to XT speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom