OC'ing the 9850 phenom BE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dainius

In Runtime
OK, ive seen lots of people getting easily 3.0ghz and more out of this cpu. With my asus crosshair mobo I'm having a hard time getting above 2.9ghz without crashing... ive tried setting the vid to 1.425, HT multi to 14, bus speed is at 205. I loosened my timings to 5-5-5-18. Im still pretty new to OC'ing and was looking for any advice to get this to at least 3.0 to 3.2 ghz. I have water cooling so temps are not a prob... Any help is greatly appreciated

yea I flashed the bios to the most current one out... wasnt fond of the 0904 version, had too many flaws with it... Im gonna play around with it some more and let yall know what happens but I think since my mobo isnt orignally an am2+ board its gonna hold me back... what do you guys think?

Ok so I got to 3.0 ghz but I am having to raise my voltage way too much in my opinion from what I have seen... to hit that I used an HTT of 200X15 multi, vid is at 1.49v, timings are 5-6-6-18 for now... gonna tighten those up later... seems to be stable but only thing I have been able to run is 3dmark06. if I push the cpu to 3.1 has a hard time loading then BSOD! any more opinions are appreciated on going a tad further. Would like to hit 3.3. If you guys think I should buy another mobo like the 780 or 790 to hit that mark let me know... And how much do you think I could get for an asus crosshair used?

Did you flash the board? Asus am2 boards can be flashed to am2+, i had to do mine for the 5000+ BE.
you can't flash an AM2 board to run AM2+. You can flash them to support Phenom's, but they won't have HTT 3.0 etc..

Anyway, the best overclocks are done on 790FX boards (which are designed for the Phenom processors)
the better boards are the DFI M2R, MSI K9A2 Platinum, Gigabyte MA790FX-DQ6

You should do most of your overclocking using the multiplier, and then "fine tune" the overclock with the HTT when you're approaching the limit.
Phenom's get much better overclocks using multiplier increases, rather than HTT increases.

ill look into getting one of those boards... had a feelinig this board might be holding me back. its a really good mobo but like you said apok, not an am2 board. well any more suggestions on keeping it stable let me know... 3.0 ghz isnt really stable BSOD when I got off work so I will have to keep messing with it

will the 790fx chipsets run SLI? or is it just crossfire because most of the ones I am looking at only do crossfire

nvm just found it... anyone recommend any great OC'ing mobo's with good features for the 9850 phenom and a 9800 GX2 in quad sli later down the road?

will the 790fx chipsets run SLI? or is it just crossfire because most of the ones I am looking at only do crossfire
Nvidia haven't made any chipsets for AM2+ yet. So far it's only the AMD/ATI 700 series chipset boards.
Nvidia will make some though I think, they should be called Nforce 780a.

Anyway, 3870 X2's are still fast. And the 4870 X2's will be even better

I wouldnt mind doing that but I just ordered my 9800 GX2 and it will be here Monday lol... oh well May go with the 790i and the q6600 in another rig.. this phenom is still really fast compared to my AMDX2 6400... really liking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom