explorer.exe crash loop. what's left to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
I've got an XP MCE system and explorer falls into a crash loop on startup.
This happens also in safe mode.
It initially had some spyware which I thought was the problem but that has since been removed.

I have also scanned for viruses and found none.
I've tried 3 different registry repair programs to no effect.

I have run system file checker and it asks for "Windows XP Professional CD2" but it's not accepting any of my original discs.

I have also tried an in place repair install of Windows, but no change there either.

I also have no internet access if that tells you anything. Maybe it's not related.

What else can I try here?

If you have tried a repair install and it didnt work then the system is done. You will have to format and reinstall. Sorry. A repair install is the last option before format and reinstall.

it will usually run for 10 or 15 seconds before it crashes.
But now a new problem has come up. I tried to reinstall SP2, hoping that it would replace whatever files are causing the problem, but it stopped about halfway through and said that installation couldn't continue. After rebooting, the user account has suddenly been reset to factory default settings. Actually, it's like it has created a brand new account and the old one is no longer there..

Did you reformat before you tried to install? That's what reinstalling entails: reinstalling your OS from scratch. REpair installs just replace the system files. If you're going to reinstall your OS, then you need to back up all important data, and then format your drive from the XP disc, and do a clean install.

So does the new account work? If so then it could have been just a corrupt profile which would be in your favor.

No I haven't reformatted because I wanted to try the repair install first.
The new account doesn't work either. It has the exact same problems.
I'm sure at this point I don't have much choice but to back everything up and run a clean install :-\

Yes after a repair install if it doesnt work you are only left with that option. If the new profile created still doesnt work then the whole system is buggered. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom