GX2 Quad SLi power requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

veedubfreak

Golden Master
Ok so i'm trying to decide if this 750TX is going to cut it or not. It has all of the proper connections and has a single 60A 12v rail. On evga's website they suggest a 600W psu (overkill i know) with 28A on the 12v rail. This leads me to believe that 60A on the 12v rail is going to be PLENTY to support the quad sli setup. My reasoning behind this is that they suggest the 28A for full system not just the video card. So by reason of deduction, the video card has to be pulling less than 28A. So is my reasoning behind this correct?

I had basically the same setup as you. Only problem is my 1 9800GX2 was dead. Power supply was plenty to hold up to the one card, though. I have the same psu and it works very well. Not sure about two cards using that power supply, but you're right that it does have enough cables.

Well i know for a fact that a 520hx is enough for a GX2 because i run SLI GTS512s which actually pull more power due to the clocks they have. My other option would be to jump to an ultra x3 1000w, but its only an extra 10A on the 12v. And i'm almost 100% certain that 60A on the 12v rail is more than enough power.

i would think that the 750 would be enough. and yes i would think that the 28A would be for the whole system not just the vidoe card. 28 x 12 = 336 Watts, that card shouldnt use anything near 336 watts

The main problem with the 520hx is that it only has 2 6/8 connectors :( Anyway its getting a good home, its going in my media rig. Maybe it'll save me a few bucks in electricity. The cards should be here tommorow, so expect lots of pictures and a new worklog :)

Ok so i'm trying to decide if this 750TX is going to cut it or not. It has all of the proper connections and has a single 60A 12v rail. On evga's website they suggest a 600W psu (overkill i know) with 28A on the 12v rail. This leads me to believe that 60A on the 12v rail is going to be PLENTY to support the quad sli setup. My reasoning behind this is that they suggest the 28A for full system not just the video card. So by reason of deduction, the video card has to be pulling less than 28A. So is my reasoning behind this correct?

That is one sweet power supply, I would think it could handle the job ok.

Then again....that is alot of video card :)

Ya, i just hope i dont get screwed on the rebate. Cause if i do, i'll be kind of miffed that i didnt spend 50 bucks more for the ultra x3 which is modular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom