TF Reputation system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
Not sure wether something like this has been reccommended before, but anyway.

I think it would be good if a reputation system was added to the forum.
Something like the option to select wether a reply to a thread was good or bad, helpfull or un helpfull etc.

I saw on another website were they had done:

Thanks receiver: 127 (or whatever) Thanks Gave 44 (..or whatever) under the users Avatar. Seemed to be a good system because it lets new members know wether they can trust the user, and it encourages good posting.

Sorry wether something similar has already been reccomended.

This can have its upside but also its down sides. 1 would ahve to update the mod with every update of the forum.

2. Have to have access to the server to upload the files and isntall it.

3. If a member has a grudge against another member can just put negative rep on all sorts of posts for them and make it so that no one wants to hear from them posting.

Plus how do we moderate it? How do we enforce the rules when people give Rep? There is no easy way.

Personally i think that it is a wasted effort. If people really wanted to know what a member is like and check on them. There is a way to see their posts and threads thru their profile. Will be a much better way to determine how they are than thru some silly Rep system that can be abused easily.

Here are the rep rules from OCN, that has their rep system well established:

Reputation Overview
–Reputation is a feature within the forum that allows members to acknowledge other members for leaving posts that are beneficial to the forum and it's membership as a whole.
–You can leave reputation by clicking on the REP + button, which appears within each member's postbit, every time they post.
–You have the option of leaving a comment along with your rating. This is highly encouraged.
–All members start off with 0 reputation points. It will increase with every Rep you receive from other members.
–Your reputation appears in your “postbit” alongside each post you make.

What is Unique Rep?
Unique Rep is the marker that shows how many different people have given you rep. If you wrote 5 great posts and I decided to give you REP+ for each of them your Rep would increase by 5 but your Unique Rep would only increase by 1.

When should Rep be given?
Reputation should be given to members who make posts that are beneficial to the forum and it's membership. When you give rep, keep in mind that members with a high rep will be perceived as "top members" in the forum. Give rep wisely!

When should it NOT be given?
Reputation SHOULD NOT be given for matters of personal gain. This includes giving rep to friends for any reason, for gmail accounts or anything else that does not benefit the membership as a whole.

Reputation Etiquette
- Do not beg for rep.
- Do not hold grudges with rep. Give rep to ANYONE who posts something that deserves acknowledgement.
- Do not create multiple accounts to give rep to yourself. You will get caught.
- Do not give rep to a post of a member just because you like them. The POST itself should be worthy of the rep.

I think it's a great idea. It would be another useful tool in, for example the BST thread. Like you need a certain number of reps to start a sale thread.

It would be easy if people just simply listened.

I don't think the bad rep should be implemented, because there are members here that have a grudge against each other.

About modding it, I wonder if it can be similar to the threads requiring attention area. Like we have one thread dedicated to given reps, and every rep that is given, creates a post in that thread. I don't think it will be that hard to mod, since we already do a good job of reported threads.

Why would you need to see if someone was gave a Thanks :confused: ?

Yeh, abolish the bad rep idea anyway. As Mak said.

There has to be a way to mod it. Just making sure it's being done right. If not, we can correct it...because there will be those, who give it for no reason, or someone has begged for a rep.

Good point.

I was also thinking, but this would be probably hard to do, but where they mainly received there rep from (which subforum) because if someone had lots of great rep from the Browser section and then came into the audio section and gave advice, someone may think that they are very knowledgable in the field of audio and beleive what they say. Like i said i would think this would be hard to implement though.

I too have seen this on other forums...sounds a good idea and can see no harm in a trial run if people go for it :)

Qreo said:
I was also thinking, but this would be probably hard to do, but where they mainly received there rep from (which subforum) because if someone had lots of great rep from the Browser section and then came into the audio section and gave advice, someone may think that they are very knowledgable in the field of audio and beleive what they say. Like i said i would think this would be hard to implement though.

That would be some sort of challenge. But I'm sure someone as knowledgeable as you in the audio department, can give your opinion over the other.

And it's not that common for that to happen. I'm good at hardware, but I rarely visit the audio section, or the software section. And I would never try to give my thoughts in those sections, because I don't have the knowledge for those subjects.

This is TECH-FORUMS!! - There's a million other things that need doing first. I'm sure Dave & the mods already have this one up their sleeve anyhow.

=] ~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom