upgrade questions? rampage formula? Q6600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
who really needs anything? lol... and it is slightly different... X48 instead of X38 is prolly the biggest reason... but it looks to be among the best boards out there without going to DDR3 (which i rather dont want to do just yet...) ... and i really dont mind the price... its only like $50 more than the Maximus... no big...

hmm... not sure what it is youre talking about exactly... link mebbe?

mkaymkay... sounds like there is a pretty strong case for the Q6700... and the whole 10x vs 9x multiplier thing makes perfect sense... i wasnt sure was all... but thats why i asked here first :)

thats an idea... except, im really looking to get something kind of... well... now... cuz my other board is failing rapidly (random, odd BSODs... and when i took it in and had my friend work on it, he said he narrowed it down and that his #1 guess would be its a mobo problem...) so id rather like to replace it now-ish...

ahHA! so... its dropping down to $266 on April 20? is this for sure? because i just looked on newegg... and its like $539 for a Q6700... and a $200 difference is just too much for me... so it looks like i might wait... and pray my comp holds up until then :*

im an nVidia kinda guy, so... if anything, itd be SLI later on down the road... but odds are more than good that im just gonna end up replacing my 8800GTS with a 9800GX2 and just call it a day there... SLI seems like a lot of work and expense, so...
and id like to stick with DDR2 and just overclock it a bit for as long as possible... DDR3 is just too expensive right now for the actual performance gain...

G0...? i keep hearing alot about this... 'stepping' and such... but i honestly cant say i understand it really... just that G0 seams to be better somehow :/

and about the mobo... same with the chip, youll have to make a case for it to sway me... other than the price, which i dont mind... and waiting for new things to come out, which i rather dont want to do... i can always upgrade later, i figure :]

also, any thoughts on thermal paste? which is best? or is that Mx-2 pretty good? i had it narrowed down between that and this IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound stuff... but went with the Arctic...

thanks for the opinions tho, and keep em coming! yall really help me out and im sure ill have a better build cuz of it :) - RK

*WOW that was a long post XD

any more thoughts? anyone?
noclue? drizzt? prototype?
:* - RK

Dont worry I am still here. And about the rampage over the maximus, not worth it. Honestly, if you want x48 over x38 and want ddr2... then you are not thinking. because all x48 is, is x38 with ddr3 support. or the other way around. And here is a thread about flashing the bios to the rampage bios..
Turn your Maximus Formula into Rampage Formula - XtremeSystems Forums

and the price drop is from intel. so it should be reflected very soon.

deff worth the wait if you are going to OC.

SLI is sometimes worth it, it is all up to you.

I still vote p35, and hang onto a good p35 until nehalem. Great board, wonderful* OCer, and all around good board. + tons of support.

the stepping is very important, all the q6700's are G0, so dont worry. But if you go the q6600 route, you need to buy from somewhere that has them. (most do, the B3 has really been phased out.) The stepping will have effect on your OC, btw.

MX-2 is the best thermal paste. Go with that.

EDIT- look at a few of these :
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
and dont worry about some of them with really low prices, does not mean they are bad boards. Like this one- still top notch :
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

okay, since this thread kinda died out... ima make my conclusions based on whats been said so far, and here they are:

Q6600 - solid quad core chip, great for overclocking... but the Q6700 will be even better based on its 10x multiplier... but its too overpriced right now to be practical, SO wait till the prices drop on the 20th..

Rampage Formula - pretty much the same as the Maximus Formula, which you can update the BIOS to be the same... there was some question whether the $50 difference was worth it, but other than that its a solid board (and good for OC'ing) as well...

MX-2 paste - the best out there, stick with it

and NZXT Tempest - stillllllll waiting for a release date, but sticking with it...

SO

based on all of that, i have concluded THAT:
im gonna wait for the 20th, then pick up the Q6700, Rampage Formula (despite the price difference... messing with the BIOS is not my thing, and ive heard some bad things about the Maximus' BIOS), the Arctic Silver MX-2, and the NZXT Tempest... which will hopefully be out by then...

thanks alot for the help and info you guys... ill post back in the forums after i get all my parts in and ill make sure and post lots of pics of my upgrade build... thanks again :) - RK

wow nice find, an eVGA 750i A1, probably will overclock as well as the 680i A1

also is the 750i x8 x8 like the 650i or is it x16 x16 like the 680i

Check your memory because im pretty sure the memory you have now wont be compatible with the motherboard your going to get.

The "750i FTW" is a completely non reference board. It is 16x/16x and has all solid caps. Its of EVGA's own design. It is supposed to be an overclocking champ. I will probably pick one up if my 680i takes another dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom